ClubWRX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you all are saying "Just what we need, another Cobb Stage 2 review." I can't say it's going to bring anything new to the table, but it should give yet another perspective on those who are the edge.

First, giving props to those who deserve it.

Props to Trey at Cobb Tuning for releasing the CA spec maps.

Thanks to the guys are Gruppe-S for giving me good service. Only beef I have is that they ignored two of my PM's/emails that I sent asking about my order. That really isn't good business, imo, but a simple phone call rectified the situation, and I will not hesitate to order from them again. Fast shipping and courteous employees.

First, I went Cobb Stage 1 for a little over a week. It was OK, definatly not worth the 600 dollar price of admission. For those of you whom are stock and considering going to stage 1 for a "little extra," prepare to be dissapointed. I guess if it's Stage 1 or nothing, it's better than staying stock. Remember a certain day when your stock rex was feeling especially strong? That's how stage 1 feels all the time.

I installed my Helix catted downpipe. The thing is beautiful and matted perfectly to the stock catback. Beautiful peice. When I got my stock peices back, they seriously looked like something the Borg would use in 'Star Trek." The midpipe cat bung was expecially funky looking. it looked like some sort of musical instrument. Heck, If I need a costume for holloween, I can just attach the downpipe and midpipe to my arms, and fit the heatshield on my head and ill be good to go. :D It was pretty obvious that they were made to do one thing: restrict power.

When I first took off, the car felt slower...that was because I was getting full boost at around 2500 RPM and a more steady torque curve, so it just SEEMED slower. The car pulled evenly up until redline, it literally felt like a N/A car. Other than that, didn't feel too much of a change. I could also hear the turbo spool more, and it now starts at around 1750 RPM, but I don't get usable boost until the early 2000 RPM range. The car doesn't pull to redline, but it feels like it at least is holding it to redline, as opposed to just dropping off.

Took the car out at night. I got on the freeway and I was like "WTF. why isn't the car shifting in to 4th?" Thats because it WAS in 4th! That's right, Overdrive now feels like 3rd gear! 3rd gear is a monster and 2nd...well still feels like 2nd, oddly enough. It has a more power, but didn't shock me like 3rd and 4th did.

I got the opportunity to get to a stoplight, and when it turned green, I floored it. Let me give you an example of what happened last time I floored it from a stop. The car bogged like no other, and it took like 3 seconds to hit boost. Not cool! When I floored it this time, NO TURBO LAG!! Instantaneous boost and I was floored in my seat. WOW!!! Im sorry if I am coming off overly excited, but this alone was easily worth the price of an accessport.

There you have it. It's not even the same car. It just pulls and pulls like never before, and each gear has been transformed. For those of you contemplating on going to stage 2, stop contemplating and GET IT!!! You won't be sorry.

PM me with questions!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just liked the idea of being able to switch maps at my leisure instead of having to get a new tune everytime I do a new mod. power gains may not be the same, but it's more convienant.

·
Registered
433 Posts
what made you take the A-port over something like ECUTEK or UTEC??
Maybe he was going to go down the Cobb stage route. Like the Vf30 or vf34 and they offered an already tuned ecu that was able to have maps switched by the touch of a button. They offer alot if youre planning on getting either of these(30 or 34) and dont require any tuning. Their base maps are extremely well tuned. And with accesstuner coming out there is even more of of reason to go with cobb, considering they offer things other EM co's dont.

Either way, props on the stage 2 and Im glad youre happy with it. :thumbup:

-Griffin

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
awesome! I am glad you like it..... once I get more some more money and I settle into school, I think I might go with cobb AP. I am running a full catless setup, and WAS using a MBC. .... but I was worried about spikes and that kinda took away from daily practical driving.....

AP will more than likely be my next mod.... and that always leaves the window open for a turbo upgrade (which would more than likely be a vf34)

One thing i really miss about stock is that (push you into your seat when turbo kicks in) feeling.... the whole powerband is stonger and boost comes earlier so its more of an "even" power

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
You need to get rid of that stock cat back, it's like a few sandbags in your trunk. . just slowing you down.

As for anything to do with the access tuner, I wouldn't hold your breath on that being released any time soon. It's several months late already and even if it is released this year it's going to take a while for the decent shops to do their testing on the product before they offer it to customers. . . so if you'rue going to be using the AP you should plan on sticking to cobs upgrade paths.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all who viewed this thread/replied.

Quick update: took my parents for a ride with the AC on and I noticed that I was now getting usable boost at around 2100 RPM. Gas mileage is still around 20 for me (up from 17 when I was stock). I was impressed with how well the car performs now with passengers + AC.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Couldn't agree more, 3rd feels like 2nd, 4th feels like 3rd. Love the turbo wistle from 2-3K. Now, you can toe into the throttle at 65 in 5th and actually pass someone...without downshifting. Awesome product, DO IT!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just wanted to clarify that with EcuTek you can have multiple maps on your ecu and you can switch between them easily. You do have to get each additional map built and tuned from scratch which can be expensive and time consuming, but there is still the possibility for multiple maps if one desires.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have Cobb stage one and I would agree with the review onthis thread. I'm jsut waiting for my tbE to come in the mail. THe only thing that sucks aboout Cobb is the shipping time=4 ever

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Quack said:
i kinda miss my stg2 at the moment. i just installed the VF30/93 map and right now i like how it pulls hard, but miss how the stock turbo pulled earlier (close to 1000rpm earlier)
Yeah, I've got the VF34, and I've had to alter my driving style to stay near my powerband. I really like the freighttrain pull of the bigger snail, but Stage 2 is easier to drive around town. It was almost like having no lag at all...

·
Registered
656 Posts
DarkKnight04 said:
I just wanted to clarify that with EcuTek you can have multiple maps on your ecu and you can switch between them easily. You do have to get each additional map built and tuned from scratch which can be expensive and time consuming, but there is still the possibility for multiple maps if one desires.
you sure about that?

ecutek?

different maps entirely? not just a different boost map?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.