ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know there a bunch of threads on these, and I've read a ton of them, but still can't make up my mind.

My 2003 WRX has 90k miles, and is stock other than a Stage 1 tune. I do plan on going Stage 2 in a little while, but will never go far beyond that. The original clutch is going out, and I'll need a replacement very soon.

Right now, I'm looking at the Exedy OEM replacement:

OEM Clutch

and the Stage 1 organic:

Stage 1 Clutch

Then for flywheels I will either have the original resurfaced or get the ACT StreetLite:

ACT StreetLite

I don't track the car, and it is my daily driver. I do AutoX on rare occasion, and enjoy a nice drive, but 80% of the time, it's just my work commute.

Thoughts?

I wish I knew someone with the lightweight clutch, but none of my friends have WRXs. I talked to Cobb Surgeline, and they said while they really like the lightweight flywheels, they aren't for everyone, so I don't want to screw this up.

Thanks!

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Just go with the OEM replacements. There's absolutely no need for you to go with anything different, and lightweight flywheels can be a bit of a pain, especially for early WRX's. You're going to either need to get a stocker replacement for the flywheel, or find someone who has done a resurfacing of a Subaru flywheel before, because Subaru doesn't have resurfacing tolerances for their flywheels, they recommend that you replace them at the same time as the clutch rather than resurfacing.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Subaru says not to resurface your FW for a reason. New OE / StreetLite; choice is yours (weigh pros/cons of LWFW).

As for the clutch, you choose one based on your ft/lbs output. You're near stock, so an OE / OE replacement should suffice. A StageI organic wouldn't be that bad, and will give you some headroom, but don't go beyond that with the stock turbo. Too much clutch does nothing but increase stress on your transmission, which can be a $$ bill.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Stock Exedy unit and stock flywheel.

/thread

1 - 5 of 5 Posts