ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the clutch on my 2002 WRX is starting to slip, my mother (who owned it before me) has always been a little heavy on riding the clutch petal.
For me, I felt that the clutch was always a little on the soft side compared to heavier clutches I’m used to, like the dual mass setup that was on my old 190 Cosworth, 7.3L Powerstroke 6 spd, and an old Mack 8spd rock crusher i used to operate.
I’ve been reading that the preferred recommended clutch for our rides is the Exedy kit and a new flywheel. I’m not against this, and I agree that it’s better to have the clutch being the weak link to protect the transmission.
I’d prefer to have something with a bit more clamping force, but not looking to go with a puck clutch. Maybe a stronger pressure plate? While in running a stock setup currently, I might be building the motor up a bit in the future, replacing worn components with upgraded pieces. Id be open to a stage 1 setup if it’ll stiffen up the petal a bit (keeping an organic disc) and not burn up after 30K miles.
I’ve found two Exedy kits I can get, the KSB03 and the FJK1006. Which one is the preferred Exedy kit?
I’ve also read that ACT clutch kits are of a good quality, but wanted member feedback. What about ECT clutch kits? I’ve read many Amazon reviews, but what about users here?

·
Æternum
19,977 Posts
I'm confused. Is the vehicle stock? If so, a slipping clutch is indicative of early wear. The best replacement is an OEM replacement.

Why do you want something with "greater clamping force" if it is unnecessary?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Yes, vehicle is stock. I thought it was strange when I first heard that the clutch in these only last around 70-80K. I know part of it is my mother’s driving style, but geez!
2. Greater clamping force, just something I’m more used to and comfortable with.

·
Æternum
19,977 Posts
70-80k is a bit short, but not unheard of.

My bugeye was at 110k miles with 20k of that significantly higher than stock torque output, original clutch.

I've never gotten less than 150k miles out of a clutch, but have heard of people burning through them in 50k miles or less.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,671 Posts
I'd go OEM also. My stock clutch has 210K on it. So far, so good. I'd pay attention what fly wheel goes in, nothing lighter than stock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The stock clutch in 02 is an Exedy. I purchased everything from Subaru and the clutch I received was an Exedy with Subaru part number 30100AA840. Pressure plate did not say Exedy but I'm sure they have something equivalent and other options for increasing pressure. My WRX has 300hp and I'm not sure you need to increase the pressure. Anyway options form Exedy are there. I did the flywheel as well - not lightweight. Parts cost approx. $500 from Subaru. You should definitely put the sleeve (pdmusa) on the nose of your tranny. Not a difficult job - just need to get the exhaust out of the way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I did the clutch swap. I ended up going with a stage 1 kit that came with a 14 lb flywheel.
At first, it was pretty stiff, much stiffer than any commercial truck I’ve ever driven, with a hair pin release. I adjusted the clutch petal to give a little extra travel (one full rotation). After the first 300 miles I adjusted the clutch petal back to where it was, as it started feeling more like stock, but it was still stiffer (which is what I was after).
800 miles later the clutch release is close enough to what it was before my clutch originally started slipping, with the pressure still being higher as I wanted. Remember, this was entirely a decision of preference and self comfort. Overall I’m happy with the decision, but the first ~300 miles sucked!

next on the list is to replace the hoses for the intercooler and turbo

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well I did the clutch swap. I ended up going with a stage 1 kit that came with a 14 lb flywheel.
At first, it was pretty stiff, much stiffer than any commercial truck I’ve ever driven, with a hair pin release. I adjusted the clutch petal to give a little extra travel (one full rotation). After the first 300 miles I adjusted the clutch petal back to where it was, as it started feeling more like stock, but it was still stiffer (which is what I was after).
800 miles later the clutch release is close enough to what it was before my clutch originally started slipping, with the pressure still being higher as I wanted. Remember, this was entirely a decision of preference and self comfort. Overall I’m happy with the decision, but the first ~300 miles sucked!

next on the list is to replace the hoses for the intercooler and turbo
I will say this. Even a stock clutch replacement can suck for the first 150-200 miles, or so, until it breaks in.

Glad the clutch replacement worked out for you. Good luck with your build.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts