Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all you young bucks! :wave: It's a not-so-new guy on the block.

Well, I was at the Subaru dealer ordering my wife a new Crosstrek Limited using my supplier pricing deal thru my employer. We finished the order process and I was eyeing a WRX (WR Blue) and a STI (DGM). After taking each of them for a test drive, I felt the WRX was the better real world driver for me. However I really liked the car in the dark metallic grey. The dealer found me a WRX Premium in my color, with STI shifter, euro splash guards, body sides that I liked. We made a deal at $29,200 (plus tax & tags) with them adding the STI front spoiler.

The dealer was super great to work with...no games what so ever! :thumbup:

So now I'm interested in some simple non-warranty restricting upgrades.
I did start by upgrading the plastic shifter & park brake boots with real leather. (Thanks Red Line)

While I had the boots off, I did add the Perrin shifter stop. ;)

I have desires for some more subtle upgrades like the JDM armrest and upholstered gauge hood to finish out the interior.
Then maybe some exhaust and intake tweaks. Nothing to void warranties though. So tell me what works!

gmorphan
2016 WRX
1999 M Roadster
1988 Fiero GT (ordered new)
1969 Corvair street Stinger

· Premium Member
18,393 Posts
Welcome to Club! :)

We have a few "seasoned" folks here so no worries.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Saturday morning Craigslist SCORE!!! I've been watching this STI exhaust on Craigslist for a while. The ad was kind a misleading and the asking price was $850 so when the seller dropped it to $650 this week, I had to made contact. Turns out it is the STI system listed in the WRX accessory pamphlet. There are 2 systems (WRX & STI), the only difference is the resonator put inline on the system meant for actual STI's (WRX is a straight mid pipe).

Seller was motivated, having had it on their '15 STI for 2 months before trading it in a few months back.
And while I'd probably never cough up the $1,000 Subaru wants for this system, I did manage to get it for $400. :thumbup:
This is the actual STI version w/resonator, but I see no harm in installing it on my WRX.

I can't wait to hear how it sounds. At this price...it sounds great already! :wiggles:

· Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Welcome and congrats!

The exhaust should bolt up just fine. I have an STI catback on mine, however I got it to add a resonator since replacing the J-Pipe removed the stock WRX resonator. The sound was just short of awful running resonator-less with stock mufflers... but it sounds perfect now. :thumbup:

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to Club! :) We have a few "seasoned" folks here so no worries.

Thanks! But not only am I way older than most here, I have an eclectic taste in automobiles.
I have most of the bases covered...
Front engine/rear drive, mid-engine/rear drive, rear engine/rear drive and now front engine/all wheel drive.

Just not interested in front wheel drive. though my wife did have a Mini for 3 years that was fun.

· Premium Member
18,393 Posts
Very nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome and congrats!

The exhaust should bolt up just fine. I have an STI catback on mine, however I got it to add a resonator since replacing the J-Pipe removed the stock WRX resonator. The sound was just short of awful running resonator-less with stock mufflers... but it sounds perfect now. :thumbup:
SUPER info! So you J-pipe eliminated the small block resonator?
I wonder how restrictive that resonator is, considering how much difference it makes in exhaust sound?
I also wonder if the stock STI has that same block resonator in the J-pipe?

· Super Moderator
2,722 Posts
Hey, kiddo!

It's all perspective. Both of my younger brothers are older than you, and we're each four year apart. I too have subscribed to "never grow up." I blame Mary Martin. :)

I think Joe and I are a couple of the oldest regular active members here, but we have occasional posters with a decade or so on us, too. There are a lot of active posters in their 40s and 50s. I was 48 when I bought my WRX, and kept it 13 years.

Welcome to the Club!

· Premium Member
1,489 Posts
SUPER info! So you J-pipe eliminated the small block resonator?
I wonder how restrictive that resonator is, considering how much difference it makes in exhaust sound?
I also wonder if the stock STI has that same block resonator in the J-pipe?
Yep, the small block resonator was located at the very tail end of the intermediate pipe just before the catback flange. It doesn't appear to be very restrictive at all, but it sure is effective. It looks like more of a pass-through design from what I can tell. I snapped a pic real quick for you since it's just sitting in the garage (sorry, crappy cell phone quality):

· Premium Member
18,393 Posts
Very nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ain't wasting no time to swap out this exhaust. I need to do it before the wife gets home. ;)
I do like the engineering of it (nicer bends & joints) with the dual in & out mufflers with twin wall SS tips.

1/8" bigger intermediate pipe too! I likey...:wiggles:
Can't beat factory stuff for quality & fit.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Buttoned the whole swap in about 45 minutes. Everything fit great and looks good.

The sound is slightly deeper tone than stock. No annoying resonance at any RPM range.
It's the perfect subtle factory change from stock for a "seasoned" car guy. :beerchug:

Next on the hunt...what intake changes can be made that don't sacrifice driveability or require a tune?
Looking at the Mishimoto cold air box. Hmm...what are the odds, there's one NIB on Craigslist. :rolleyes:
I think most CAI's are junk, but the Mishimoto looks like it does a good job of grabbing isolated cool air.
Does anyone know if there's any benefit to these without a tune? How about drawbacks?

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just installed the complete Kicker speaker upgrade in an attempt to improve the poor stock sound system. I negotiated a good price on two sets of everything with the dealer (tweeters, doors and subwoofer), so the price sting wasn't as bad as it could've been. One set for my WRX and the other for the wife's Crosstrek. With my WRX, I decided to take the time to FatMat the interior of the doors...what a difference that made! :)

Thank God I'm not a real sound system buff, while this upgrade is better, it's no Harman Kardon system that's for sure. :rolleyes: I guess it's as good as it needs to be for now.

I'm basically done loading the car up with OEM upgrades. I'd really like to do the Cobb AP and stage 1 to make the car a little more fun to drive. The non-linear throttle and mid-range flat spot is starting to bother me.

· Premium Member
47,181 Posts
Oh man, how did I miss an "old guy" thread? I'll be exiting my 40's, in 3 weeks.
Great looking car, have fun with it!
I've never linked age with what cars I'm "supposed" to own, life's too short!

· Registered
19 Posts
My birthday is this Wednesday. I'll be the former national speed limit, for those of us old enough to remember. I don't think of myself as old. As Satchel Paige said "how old would you be if you didn't know how old you wuz"

Back on topic, hoping to finally order within the month,,,

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.