Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
researching around, i stumbled upon this kit by a shop in WA Cylinder 4 Chamber Cooling System GR/VA/08+ LGT Fitment - GetaDomTune

obviously the kit can be simply replicatd by your own connector and hose; but the theory behind it is somewhat interesting.

Most know that when failures happen on the EJ, the most common failure is in cylinder 4. What this shop believes is that it's because cylinder 4 doesn't get enough cooling.

Basically, on the driver side, because there is no turbo there, there is no additional coolant hose connecting ports to turbo. this potentially increases cylinder 4 temperatures; and EL headers don't seem to fix the problem. Furthermore, cylinder 4 is the last in the fueling loop, but that shouldn't really matter with modern fuel pulses etc.

This kit opens up the identical port on the driverside (the one that feeds the turbo on the passenger side), and Ts in a connection to the heater hose line to feed cylinder 4 with additional coolant; and ends going right into the back of the driverside head.. Thus, adding more coolant flow.

any thoughts? experiences?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,819 Posts
I’m intrigued. Great thread I hope people chime in. Are there any log data or anything to indicate lower jacket temps would help? (And are no.4 failures still as common as people said when the cars were newer I wonder).

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
Dom is not new to the Subaru world. He knows his ****.

While he can sometimes be abrasive, and his opinions sometimes differ from the norm (e.g., ported/polished exhaust manifold), he has a history of backing up his stuff with empirical data...

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Dom is not new to the Subaru world. He knows his ****.

While he can sometimes be abrasive, and his opinions sometimes differ from the norm (e.g., ported/polished exhaust manifold), he has a history of backing up his stuff with empirical data...
Basically this. I’m not saying his thought is without merit. However there is absolutely more to it than one thing and equal length headers seems to nullify the issue for most.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts