ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming up on my first oil change in my 2011 Wrx premium. I want to put a full synthetic oil in and I'm considering Amsoil. Are there any other recommendations out there? Also is there any warranty issues I should be considering?

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
As long as it meets Subaru minimum requirements, you should have no issues with warranty. I use Castrol Edge 5W-30 with good results if it matters

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I used Pennzoil Formula Shell Synthetic for my first oil change,paired with the OEM filter .But for my second oil change I'll be using Rotella Shell T6 5W-40 after reading a lot of good stuff about it.

I'd save all the receipts in case any warranty issues were to arise.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/general-maintenance-troubleshooting-accidents/134324692-what-oil-should-i-use.html
I'm not sure if it will ever cause an issue, but Rotella does not meet Subaru minimum requirements

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I know for one it isn't "energy conserving" which is a requirement, and I though it had to be API CN certified (could be wrong on that, cant pull up my manual on work computer) which rotella is not. I was going to use it because, like you, I've heard nothing but great reviews, but those were two things I noticed. Like I said though, they may not be that picky and you may never have a problem

·
Registered
750 Posts
If I remember correctly they do recommend 5w-30 synthetic SM/SN Energy Saving oil. Though they also mention 5w-40 synthetic can be substituted under severe conditions. I don't see a reason how Rotella T6 would void it. It's 5w-40 SM the only thing it's missing is Energy Saving which I haven't seen in any 5w-40 oils.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Okay I checked the jug.It says API certified but not energy conserving.Like KHP said the manual does say 5W-40 can be used in severe conditions.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If I remember correctly they do recommend 5w-30 synthetic SM/SN Energy Saving oil. Though they also mention 5w-40 synthetic can be substituted under severe conditions. I don't see a reason how Rotella T6 would void it. It's 5w-40 SM the only thing it's missing is Energy Saving which I haven't seen in any 5w-40 oils.
The oil weight is within spec, that's not an issue. I'm just curious about how picky they'll be. I would say the best thing to do is call the dealeryou would use for warranty work and get their input. Most major oil for gasoline cars say energy conserving. Rotella is designed for diesel which could be why it isn't energy conserving

·
Registered
45 Posts
I could be talking directly out of my four point of contact here, but I've been told that energy conserving oils don't have the same additives that non-energy conserving oils have. I've also been told that making the switch to T-6 has resulted in some oil usage issues, especially if you didn't have any with the previous oil.

I have seen the test results on the T-6 at 5000 miles and it still met spec. I'm past my warranty either way and will be making the switch this weekend.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,204 Posts
I have seen the test results on the T-6 at 5000 miles and it still met spec. I'm past my warranty either way and will be making the switch this weekend.
Given your location it interests me to hear what you run in winter. Would you be OK with a synthetic 5W-40 in winter? If so, you could simply run the same T6 year round. Otherwise there is M1 0W-40, but my motor did use more of that than the T6 5W-40. Either would be fine for me but the weather my car sees has no relationship to what yours goes through.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts