Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here (and I mean NEWBIE) with a bone stock 2007 WRX, 113k miles on it. I've located a tuner (difficult, there aren't many in my rural area) who can disable the secondary air pump valve codes, which was my initial request. He's pitching a full, custom tune for about $300 and I'm tempted. I've got wide-open country roads and do like to open it up. I'm a Driver but not a mechanic or very educated about engines-- 90% of the jargon here is washing over me. Here's where I lay it bare: is a tune wasted on someone who appreciates a good, fast, technical drive without knowing all the technical stuff that makes it happen? If it goes bad, I wouldn't know how to tell him exactly what boost I'm getting, what my AF Learning is doing, etc. I just finished reading the Protune Disappointment thread and thought, man, if THIS guy got a bad tune and he already knows all this crap, what the hell am I thinking.

Second, less existential, question is whether that price seems rational.

·
Registered
468 Posts
This is a good realization to make before you invest in a protune. Usually, with a tune, the tuner has you purchase a tuning software device such as a Cobb Acessport, this device helps you manage and monitor the tune. If you are unfamiliar with the readings from the device and don't want to learn about them it will inhibit you're ability to obviously make sure all the feedback from the engine is within expected parameters. Also, if your car is bone stock, a tune (although it will make a difference in the performance of the car) is relatively unnecessary. People tune in response to mods that are significantly different that stock and require different ecu maps to run properly. That being said, if I were in your position I would pass up on the tune and spend the 300 on another part of the car (suspension components!). Also, work on driving technique, my car is stock for the most part and driving technique has significantly improved my performance in the car. Just my .02 cents!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'll just get the codes fix for now. And anyway I don't need the added temptation to put the car through its paces-- I've gotten stopped 3 times in the last 12mos but somehow got away with just warnings. Pretty sure the County sheriffs office knows my car by now-- one of them waved and smiled at me as I went by doing the speed limit. I need to let them forget me for awhile. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Every car will benefit from a good custom tune.. that is, if the tuner knows what they're doing. I certainly wouldn't let just anyone tune your car.. it should be someone who is well established and known in the Subaru community for putting out quality work. A bad tune can destroy the engine by the end of the day, and it happens more often than you would think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts