ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Tactrix cable to reflash my ECU and to help me get past emissions. Regardless, I was thinking about reflashing to make sure that I have the stock mapping. I called the dealership to ask if they could reflash to stock and a person at the service desk told me that if I have an aftermarket mapping, then my ECU could be ruined if they try to reflash it for me. What do you all think about this? Would it be safe for me to save my ROM and reflash to another stock ROM or maybe even update to a stage two map? Or would my ECU be ruined? Let me know what you all think. Thanks in advance for the help. My car is an 02 WRX and as far as I know, it hasn't been reflashed before.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
If you know what you're doing, reflashing is generally pretty safe. There's always the risk of catastrophic failure, but mine has been reflashed ~25 times without issue; there are people on the board with over 100 reflashes without issue as well.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
If it was married to an Cobb AccessPort, then you might be at risk there, but if the car has never been flashed before, it is highly doubtful that a successful reflash is going to brick your ECU. I always make sure to back up the rom on a car before reflashing, it's a good idea to do as a just in case measure.

I've reflashed mine about 5 times, and done reflashing on other peoples cars to the tune of about 10-20 times. The main risk you're running is failure DURING the reflash, if the cable comes disconnected or if the laptop dies mid flash you risk bricking, so make sure all connections are sturdy and that your laptop is at least charged enough or plugged in while flashing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent, thank you very much for the info. If I connect, would the ROM name indicate something to do with cobb? Or if I test write, the software would just tell me if there was a problem, right?

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Excellent, thank you very much for the info. If I connect, would the ROM name indicate something to do with cobb? Or if I test write, the software would just tell me if there was a problem, right?
No problem. The ROM name is whatever you give it, it's not designated by the ECU, only the ID is something the ECU keeps track of, so no, Cobb won't be indicated anywhere. The newer AccessPorts will not allow any other flashing device to do anything to the ECU, it scrambles certain parameters which makes it currently impossible for ECUFlash to pull a ROM or reflash it.

If you do a test write, ECUFlash will tell you there was a problem, yes. I really think you're fine though, if someone was dumb enough to marry an AccessPort to your car and not unmarry it before selling it to you, I'd be surprised.

I wouldn't worry too much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts