Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals. I shall turn to you once more to tap your knowledge of various Subaru issues. Well looks like my WRX is starting to show its age. As of the past 2 weeks or so Ive noticed a strange jerking of sorts coming from what seems to be the rear passenger side of my car. It is very subtle but slightly more noticeable while highway driving at speed of 60+ mph. I recently replaced rear pads because the caliper on the side qas hanging up on me and wore the outside pad down to nothing. I cleaned and greased the caliper slide pins on both sides of the car and slapped some meaty new pads on (no brake issues this far). I cant for the life of me seem to pinpoint this other issue and its concerning me to the point where I dont want to drive the car, especially long distances. I have a very keen sense pf hearing and can pick up on a very faint hum coming from somewhere near the tranny (hope its not the front diff or any diff for that matter]. My question is, has anyone else experienced these issues? Could it be the rear end? Or possibly a bad rear axle? I did my front drive shafts last summer and they have been great ever since (drive shaft shop makes good stuff). Maybe the universals on the drive shaft are taking a dump? My gut tells me its something that moves in centrifugal motion for it to produce that slight shudder, almost as if the car is blown by a very quick gust of wind (it isnt violent but its noticeable). My car is a 2005 WRX with just under 105K miles. Stock suspension except for endlinks all around. Any feedback is greatly appreciated im going crazy over here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Front drive axels*...I cant write a coherent message via text

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
Oh man...this is difficult without being in the car as well. Hopefully someone with similar issues can chime in sometime
The transmissions can be pretty noisy. My 09 started whining after I put redline transmission fluid and rear diff fluid in after a few miles (happened quick and only heard it around 70 mph) Immediately went away once I put some oem extra s fluid in instead. Maybe that'll solve your trans noise?

Can you elaborate a bit more on the jerking though?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea the tranny has always had a whine in this car ever since ive owned it. The car is loud too so you have to listen closely but its best described as a hum and also occurs when make a right hand turn (usually a tight corner or a bend like an entrance ramp). She jerk is hard to explain. You can feel it in the steering while driving straight, and holding the wheel straight. Its a slight slip almost and I feel like I can feel it in the passenger rear. Maybe the center diff is acting up. Its hard to explain Ive never felt it before. Im the second owner of the car and Ive had it over 10 years now as my daily so I can definitely tell its acting up. When it happens its almost like it sways the car to the left slightly. Very strange and hard to describe unless experienced for oneself

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
hmmm, I'm kind of taking a stab in the dark at it, but I would guess u-joints could be a possibility? Does it happen from a stop, or while driving?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah not at all from a stop. Occurs at lower speed (25-40 mph) but more noticeable at higher speeds (55 to 65 mph). No loud clanking or banging so thats good I guess

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definately random. Like when you get up to speed and maintain it will happen randomly. Not constant at all

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gonna have to troubleshoot it the old fashioned way. Sucks the car is getting old

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
2004 here. Yep, it is not what it used to be. :( Then again, I'm not as sharp as I was 13 years ago. :/

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha I feel your pain there. Im tempted to fix it and unload it while it still some book value. I want to drive the Focus RS, of course Id feel bad defecting from subaru

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uh oh youre gonna spoil it for me...I gotta read that

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
The RS seems to be afflicted with bad PDU (power delivery unit) seals among other little inconveniences...

I really do not need a new car. I put less than 5000 miles on the WRX in the past year. It currently has 87k something on the clock.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn thats disappointing. Road and Track's first drive they were in love with it

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
All car magazines are wh0res. Pay them enough $ and they service you as requested.

I know I'd be miserable with a Mazda 3, yet that is all I really need in a car now. Aside from a lack of power (from what I am accustomed to), it is nearly perfect in every way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can attest to the Speed3 man. My brother has an 07 which he was kind enough to let me sport while I sort all this BS out with my car. Its great just wish they made an AWD platform

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When was the car last aligned? Could possibly be linked to the jerk
Been a long time. Did powersteering work recently and brought it to a shop was told I didnt need one. Maybe I should look into a second opinion

1 - 20 of 43 Posts