ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went from Colorado to Iowa. Altitude changed from 6000 ft to 700 ft. The car did fine, until I hit the gas. It overcharged and popped the ECU into CEL. Code was P0108 (I think, maybe 0801), but kept running just fine. I reset the ECU and it happened again. Anytime I'd hit the gas a bit hard it would overcharge and I found that only by lifting the foot fast and quite a lot could I keep that in check. I had to actually lift to maybe 1/4 from wherever I was, and quick, or it'd blow. Once I even blew the discharge side off the turbo... No damage, just put it back together. So: at lower altitude the more air is real and makes a LOT of difference. I'm not sure if there just was not enough time for the ECU to learn or if the lower altitude actually would require a re-tune, but I feel that for continous use a re-tune would be indicated. I'll verify with Eric of TP. In my case it was just a visit, so retune was not indicated.
I just thought this interesting and wanted to share...

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
That is interesting! I wonder what elevation cars are tuned for from the factory.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
What all is done to the car? There are several tables in there to compensate for barometric pressure and other factors. I zero some of them out personally.

It'd probably affect your wgdc a good bit, but not out of the correction range in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I forgot to mention: Stage 2.5 or so...
Blough 18 turbo, open dp, fmic and so on... Prettly modded...

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Yeah, I forgot to mention: Stage 2.5 or so...
Blough 18 turbo, open dp, fmic and so on... Prettly modded...
It's probably your tune for better or worse. I'd bet the maximum boost numbers are pretty conservative (which could be all throughout the rpm/load range... or only in a weird spot that you got a bit of boost in earlier) and you just passed one of them... Throws a code and makes a judder. I think it cut my boost control as well and just left it at mechanical pressure for the most part.

Never know though, could have been a lot of things. That's just my guess.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
With that level of mods and the change in altitude yes a tune is probably a good idea. If you were just running stage 1 or 2 I wouldn't worry about it since the ECU should be able to correct itself.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If it was tuned at altitude this seems no surprise to me...... people with custom tunes get RE-tuned to make good boost at altitude when they move - makes sense going the other way would cause overboost issues. Sounds your tuner didn't leave you much headroom.......

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Yeah, a good high altitude tune is not going to work at sea level. I don't know enough about the compensation tables to say whether a dual use map could happen, but the ones I have heard of will have symptoms at low elevation.

You could just loosen your wastegate actuator arm a little for now (try one turn)....

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have contacted Eric Minehart Torqued Performance. He thinks he should probably tweak the tune a bit. I'm waiting for his email to let me know what that'll cost and what ecaxtly he wants me to log. To be clear, I'm back at altitude and have no more issues. The issues where while I was at the low altitude only. And yes, those issues where not entirely unexpected, but probably a little more drastic than I had hoped for...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts