ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided against a CAI but still want to help the air intake on my engine. I'm very familiar with the k&n filters and what's entailed to keep them maintained. My buddy mentioned something about a new paper filter with some type of adhesive on it to help catch derby and is cleaned periodically only using water. Anyone heard of such a thing and if not what's on the market compatible to a K&N but doesn't use oil, if anything?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
K&Ns are getting a lot of negative hype, it isnt the filter that is bad.. It is most of the owners that are bad. The main problem with K&N is over oiling the filter.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I think AEM makes a dryflow drop in. But if you do a quick Google search you will find at least 8-10 drop in choices.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
My question is what is the reasoning behind wanting to move away from the OEM filter? They seem to work as designed for millions of drivers

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Same reason you upgrade to an aftermarket exhaust or intake. Less resistance an more flow. Not to mention they are reuseable

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Same reason you upgrade to an aftermarket exhaust or intake. Less resistance an more flow. Not to mention they are reuseable
I can see an aftermarket intake or exhaust for the power advantages. I never understood the aftermarket drop-in, seems more flow = less filtration. Reusable is a good point though

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I can see an aftermarket intake or exhaust for the power advantages. I never understood the aftermarket drop-in, seems more flow = less filtration. Reusable is a good point though
Depends on the design. The AEM one achieves both by increasing the surface area over the stock filter. This is done by either adding pleats or making them deeper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts