ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am a new subaru 2010 wrx owner. I just bought it this year. So right now it is snowy/icy around the areas I live. I also need to go over a mountain pass this weekend for an interview. Unfortunately to go over this pass you must have some sort of alternative traction device such as chains in your car. Does any one have any recommendations? I know the 2010 wrx it is not recommended to have chains. I was looking at some other subaru websites and it looked like they were recommending autosocks. However, when I called the dealership the guy I talked to did not even recommend autosocks. I'm just trying to see what you all would recommend. (Besides buying winter tires, which is a hefty buy that I did not plan for.)

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
No chains. If you can't afford new tires, I can't imagine the terrible position you'll be in when your transmission and differentials go kaput.

(Besides buying winter tires, which is a hefty buy that I did not plan for.)
This is your option. If you did not plan for that, it's disappointing that you did not do your due diligence before purchasing the vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was not planning to use chains. The state law was the one I wasn't aware of.

And I quote

"4WD/AWD and chains
4WD/AWD vehicles (under 10,000 pounds) do not need chains installed during 'chains required' notices, but drivers still must carry chains with them in case conditions worsen and they're required to install chains during a 'chains required on all vehicles" notice.'

;Some vehicles cannot accommodate chains and must use one of the WSP-approved 'alternative traction devices' to satisfy chain requirements on vehicles with five or less axels. These textile tire covers are also called 'snow socks.' "

per my State Department of Transportation.

Even winter tires would not simply suffice if I happened to drive when all vehicles required chains. I hope that it doesn't happen but I would like to be prepared in case.

No chains. If you can't afford new tires, I can't imagine the terrible position you'll be in when your transmission and differentials go kaput.

This is your option. If you did not plan for that, it's disappointing that you did not do your due diligence before purchasing the vehicle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts