Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still the webmaster and moderator of one of the largest Cure websites and forums on the net, and I was just over there looking over some posts. The subject of Linkin Park came up and one person said this:

yeah, i know! but i do like the band, or DID like them, until they became all trendy and were played on pop stations
Being someone who care more about a band's/singer's/rapper's music more than their image, I of course had a long rebuttal to that statement. It totally annoys me! I mean, if you like a band's music, as long as they don't change their musical style (ie. Pat Boone going from 60s pop into heavy metal), why would you then NOT like the band? Is a band's image in the media THAT important that you'd say "Oh I used to like them but since they're played on pop stations now, I don't." Argh!

Sorry to vent, but it just annoys me that I used to hang out with people who were just like this. The Cure's still my favorite band but good god I can't be around people like this, which is why I've gradually distanced myself from the community. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
I can understand where this person is coming from. For example, I used to like Blink 182, but then they started to get all whiney like "ahh my life sucks" shut up. you could retire right now and never work another day in your life. your life is amazing. you do what you love, have sex with girls, get paid, and live a dream. Everyone else's life sucks compared to you. Sometimes bands just "sell out" and change their image to cater to what the public demands...kind of a sad thing to see happen. I miss Blink182's old music. Too bad I think they suck now.
RRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

sorry, rant/vent/eruption/verbal ejaculation
:mad:

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trailboss516 said:
I can understand where this person is coming from. For example, I used to like Blink 182, but then they started to get all whiney like "ahh my life sucks" shut up. you could retire right now and never work another day in your life. your life is amazing. you do what you love, have sex with girls, get paid, and live a dream. Everyone else's life sucks compared to you. Sometimes bands just "sell out" and change their image to cater to what the public demands...kind of a sad thing to see happen. I miss Blink182's old music. Too bad I think they suck now.
RRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

sorry, rant/vent/eruption/verbal ejaculation
:mad:
See, that's my point though...their music has changed to go along with their change in image. The same thing happened with Depeche Mode after Alan Wilder left. I can totally understand if music changes but if the media just makes a band bigger but the music is the same, it annoys the hell out of me :(

Radiohead's kinda done the same thing to go along with their "alternative" image IMO...The Bends was a much better album than the Grammy award-winning OK Computer...

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Verdugo said:

See, that's my point though...their music has changed to go along with their change in image. The same thing happened with Depeche Mode after Alan Wilder left. I can totally understand if music changes but if the media just makes a band bigger but the music is the same, it annoys the hell out of me :(

Ahhhh..alright i understand what you mean now. I hate when that happens to a band, especially if they are good because then the radio overplays them and then people lose interest in a potentially really good band, but they were destroyed by the radio. I hope that's more along the lines of what you were originally talking about

·
Registered
779 Posts
I dislike when the media pimps the music for all they can get. I don't dislike the band. The problem is that when a band comes out with a good song. The radio stations(not just pop) play the sh*t out of them to the point where you don't even want to listen to that particular song anymore. That's about my only problem with commercial songs. I solved my problem by listening to Cds or MP3s.

·
1,379 Posts
Werd. This happens a whole lot on the Punk scene... everybody loves a band until it signs to a major label, then all of a sudden they're supposedly sellouts, even if nothing changes. :mad:

Back in the early 90s Hootie and the Blowfish was well loved on my local scene. They were unsigned, but were getting big enough to do shows by themselves in national guard armories and stuff, and everybody on the lighter side of the alternative music scene loved 'em. Then Cracked Rear View came out, they got overplayed like mad, and many of their old-line fans ditched them, even though they were playing the same old songs.

Same things happened to Phish. Once the fratboys started listening (and worse, coming to shows), it was all over, old fans started jumping ship. Which is almost understandable... you just don't expect to go to a Phish show and have to listen to some crude fratboy harassing the girls grooving in the next row. :mad:

Kind of a shame, but, what can ya do other than keep on supporting them, even if you have to skip a few shows for your own good...

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trailboss516 said:

Ahhhh..alright i understand what you mean now. I hate when that happens to a band, especially if they are good because then the radio overplays them and then people lose interest in a potentially really good band, but they were destroyed by the radio. I hope that's more along the lines of what you were originally talking about
Yeah, that's exactly it! argh!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts