Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'13 impreza wrx with blown engine! Having trouble finding a complete, low mile engine to replace. does anyone know if an engine from another model Subaru will work on my '13 wrx sedan without having to retune or reprogram computer.

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
Nope. Depending on what failed you can buy a brand new shortblocks from flatirons for 2k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Short block?! I thought I needed a long block?

I feel confident I can replace a complete engine but I don't feel comfortable swapping heads from one block to the next and hence the reason Im looking for complete engine.

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
Well what failed? That determines what to replace. I mean it's your money, but it's substantially cheaper to buy a new shortblock for something like a spun bearing than replacing the entire long block. If you are capable of getting an engine out of a car, and back in, replacing heads shouldn't even be a concern.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhh, so its a "short block" if heads are off and its a "long block" if heads are installed! Did I mention I was new to the Subaru family LOL Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
That's nomenclature is the same across the board. What happened to require a new engine?

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
I would investigate any modifications done to the vehicle, find out if it has been tuned, for any mods on it. I would be concerned about the running low, you should check your oil regularly.

If you've never swapped an engine out be prepared for a giant nightmare. It's not always as easy as unbolting some things and bolting them back in. There are thousands of little bolts, nuts, clips, spacers, hoses, wires, and mechanical obstructions to pay attention to. If you haven't done work like this, I promise you the mechanics on YouTube make it look much easier than it is, and they typically have every tool you can imagine for just this work.

If it's your first time, I would plan on the car being down for a while, as it's not always a weekend job for a newbie. If you manage to source a low mileage complete, before you put any money down be sure it has had some level of health check done, compression tests, and is from a reputable person. It isn't uncommon to have a low mileage unit for sale that's got a problem, why else would it be for sale.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im hoping to find a motor off a wrecked car for example...done brakes, replaced exhausts, wheel bearings, plugs, etc....jus not comfortable opening up an engine....but i do know what I'm up against

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
Im hoping to find a motor off a wrecked car for example...done brakes, replaced exhausts, wheel bearings, plugs, etc....jus not comfortable opening up an engine....but i do know what I'm up against
Well good luck. I'd venture if that engine ran low enough on oil it could have damaged the turbo as well. It's worth having it checked. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts