ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha all
I just got my first Subaru 04 wrx. No motor no Trans need everything. I live in hawaii and very hard to come across parts. What motors and Trans would I be able to put in my car? Not new to mechanics but new to subarus ( excited ). There's a forester(2000) and a. Baja (2003) for parts in my area. Will it work? I got a car that has no engine or Trans. Guy I got it from did a auto to manual conversion on his Thanks

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?2f0uqq

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Well...if you don't have one of the things that makes the WRX a WRX (IE...turbo'd engine), then you don't really have a WRX do ya? :)

What are your goals here? Do you just want a running car for cheap? Or do you want to build a WRX to be a powerful and fun turbo'd AWD grocery getter?

Virtually any Subaru engine and transmission can work to fit in any engine bay, which is one of the fun things with Subaru. But, there are a lot of little quirks and congruences that need to be figured out along the way...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the turbo motor that came with it. The say says it was hydro locked. But I can spin the motor. Can I rebuild it?? Where an I find a rebuild kit. And I'm
Looking to have a ballsy car. Something that moves!!

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Honestly Google is going to be the fastest way to find parts. Any dealership can get you what you need as well. You need to start by finding out exactly what needs to be replaced.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Honestly Google is going to be the fastest way to find parts. Any dealership can get you what you need as well. You need to start by finding out exactly what needs to be replaced.
+1 above...internet buying and shipping is the best way to go in your case. If you want to build something that moves, you're going to want to do it right as opposed to just using what you have laying around the island, especially if you want it to last a little while after you build it.

Possibly could be rebuilt as long as there are no cracks or breaks in the block itself. You're obviously going to have to tear the whole thing apart to see what components are good or not. I'd stick to using WRX or STI parts (or at least some other turbo'd motor parts, such as from the Legacy GT, Forester/Outback XT, or Baja XT) as they are naturally going to be made to withstand the extra power output. Of course you can take really any engine and build it (sleeve, forged pistons/rods/etc.) to make it stronger, but the more you look into doing that, the more you're going to end up spending.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
But hell...you're closer to Japan than the mainland over here...you could probably get JDM shipped engine parts for cheaper than over here. EJ207s and 6spds galore :)

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
What about the computer. Does it matter what motor I use?
Yes. You need to stick with the 2.0L USDM motor or you will have to pay for an ECU retune
Jb50 said:
Also are they DOHC ??
Yes. No offense but you sound like your in a little over your head. I would have bought a project car your slightly more familiar with. This could easily be a nightmare. You say you are not new to mechanics but yet your asking over the internet if you can use a motor,that we can't see and that you have not even tried to do a compression/leak down test or even pulled the heads on. Most mediocre mechanics would even know to start there first. Like said before any motor is rebuildable as long as the block is good. Start there and work backwards. You will have to check clearances on EVERYTHING as the motor was suposidly hydrolocked. Just because it spins doesn't mean you don't have damaged/bent parts. The crank will be the $$$ part.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
I'm brand new to subarus. Just want the best bang for my buck. And project is on the side I'm
In no rush to get it finished. Just here for information on my options.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dlkcbf
Just because you're not in a rush doesn't mean that the project is going to be cheap or easy. If I were you I'd be looking to Subaru enthusiasts in your area.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Patience is a virtue, especially to get things done right.

·
Æternum
20,598 Posts
I got the turbo motor that came with it. The say says it was hydro locked. But I can spin the motor. Can I rebuild it??
Yes. And the rebuild option may be the cheapest.

Can you rebuild a motor yourself? Depending on the health of the block/heads, the rebuild may be relatively simple. If you use GOOGLE, you can find plenty of pistons, rods, cranks, and bearings that will work with a Subaru motor. Subaru motors are rebuilt often, so there is a fair selection of components available.

You haven't stated anything regarding your goals. Do you have a power goal? How do you see this playing out?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got an entire outback. With a 2.5 motor and 5 speed. Which pistons should I use as I will be running the 2.5 with the turbo

·
Æternum
20,598 Posts
I got an entire outback. With a 2.5 motor and 5 speed. Which pistons should I use as I will be running the 2.5 with the turbo
Is it the 2.5 turbo from the factory? If not, you have a lot of work to do. You'll need to dial down the CR and the heads may not be adequate.

·
Æternum
20,598 Posts
It's not factory on the outback but I got the turbo from my wrx. Was planning on rebuilding the 2.5 to lower compression. Or would it be wiser to just rebuild my stock engine??

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?h0i4z3
Use the block from the 2.5L, heads from your 2.0L (plus machining) and throw in some forged internals.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
If it was an N/A Outback just stick with the 2.0L engine. If you swap engines you will need a custom tune.

·
Æternum
20,598 Posts
If it was an N/A Outback just stick with the 2.0L engine. If you swap engines you will need a custom tune.
Just my $0.02 but if you're paying the big $ for a rebuild, what's an extra $500 for a tune?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts