Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I'm just taking a leisurely drive around town and my wife goes "Oh man, you just missed it. Some yellow car with big black graphics." I couldn't see what she was talking about. A few minutes later we're on the freeway and this yellow Cougar goes by. It was the car my wife was talking about. It had these stupid vinyl blach graphics that, I guess, were supposed to mimic tiger stripes.:rolleyes: I tell my wife that I've got to mess with this guy. The car had chrome dual exhaust pipes, yellow accented rims, dark tinted windows and some stupid slogan on the front and rear glass. I get behind his and the freeway goes from two to three lanes and he gets over in the fast lane. I follow and try ti accelarate. I here his dumb exhaust going off but he's not moving. Finally he gets up to speed and keeps going past the 100 mark but I don't play those games. I just wanted a 65 to 90 sprint for fun so I back off. He'll probably go to his board and rave that he beat a WRX but we know what happened. Anyway, I just don't get this all show and no go F&F crap. I mean really, you're just asking to get stomped on. If I see some riced out POS I'm sure to let them know just how pathetic they really are. Why would you want your car to draw all this attention to itself only to ultimately be a colossal waste of time, gas and money. You would think that someone who spent all that effort making their car look like that would at least work on the engine. You can get a Supercharger kit for the Cougar. I'm not a fan of bullcrap. I have no tolarance for it at all in any form. These POS rides in my opinion are the automotive equivalent of fresh, squishy, smelly BULLCRAP and I don't mind reminding these people that they only drive "race cars" in their mind. I can't help it that they can't beat a station wagon.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Haha...

Ironically going to work this morning I driving down Johnson Ferry and make a right onto a little side road. Before making the right I noticed a "rice" car at the left side waiting for the light. Well I come to the next like and think nothing of it until when the light turns green I hear this "winning" noise? I look over and it's the "rice" car. It's some old POS I have no idea what it actually was ... red w/ yellow stripes, crome rims, etc. He sits besides me for a second or so and "tries" to gun it into my lane since there was a car infront of him. I just stay in 2nd and toy with him. :D He accelerates and I accelerate just enough to stay at his door. He slows down and so do I, he tries to speed up again and the same outcome. So now he slowes down and revves at me. :rolleyes: Well you know I couldn't turn down a nice rev so I rev back ... I have the Tanabe Super Racing Medallion ... you know the outcome of that. :cool: Well he tries to accelerate again and out couse he's just too slow. Finally another lane appears and he has to make a turn. I didn't pick on him but I woun't turn one down if we're around the speed limit. :D
I also agree w/ your view ... why would people spend $$$$ on cosmetic mods and have NO go? I guess "To each his own" but my own is 4.8sec and hopefully 3.9sec someday in the future. :p

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, your story reminded my of two other POS rides I ran into earlier. A SVT Contour with a huge aluminum wing on the back. He wouldn't even race me. Now, I like SVT Contours and they don't need a big frickin wing on them. Right after that was this Grand Am SE, NOT EVEN A FRIGGIN GT, with the exhaust pipes routed thru the bumper where the reverse lights used to be. All he would do was "blap" his throttle as he paced me. I take off and he doesn't even do anything. I slow back down, he comes up beside me and "blaps" at me again. So I just take off and leave that superior POS behind like it's not even funny. But it was funny. What a joke. Is that what these idiots are about? Driving around slow and "blapping" their exhaust at each other? They need to go to the mall, park their car (and I mean car in the loosest of terms) and impress the 14 year old chicks walking around. They don't know any better. I'll take my understated WRX wagon any day to these pathetic piles of bullcrap on wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i couldnt agree with this thread more, 90% of the cars around here are absolute crap, civics neons cavaliers all with altezzas and rims, which must make them fast or something, in fact tonite, i was cruising around town, i get behind this civic with hydraulics, rims, big ass wing, and "Weapon R" on the back bumper....we're strolling to a redlight, even though im turning off, he gets in the other lane when he sees it turns red, hoping i would pull up next to him, is he SERIOUS?!?!, i would absolutely rip him a new *******, this crap makes me angrier everyday, people driving econoboxes that actually think they are fast!!, i have no problem with a person doing whatever they want to any car they want, just know your limits, if you in any of the cars mentioned above, along with v6 mustangs or camaros, and you pull up next to me wanting some, im gonna laugh my ass off and then basically break your ass off, shew, sorry, the weekends are when i see this the most so im a little stressed, anyways, ya, all show/no go is crap

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
LOL I was with my friend in his Greddy turbo-powered Civic Si...we're doing about 70 on the freeway and we see this nice red, but pretty much stock-looking 3000GT VR-4 in front of us on the left. He looks at me and starts gunning it and I say to him "Dude, you're an idiot...you're going to get owned." We pass it but then he guns it after he notices our ricer flyby and just toys with us for a mile or so. You can tell he wasn't even really paying attention to us since he was on his cell phone...LOL Anyway, he gets off at his exit and my friend turns to me and says "See...I can pull on a twin turbo!"

Can you guess the face I gave him after he said that?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Some people spend money to "pretty" up their cars. And......?

What I really don't understand is why does what they do with their car with their money anger you?

Personally, I might chuckle a bit, the same way I would if I saw someone now with a Michael Jackson "Thriller" jacket, but I hardly get angry or feel sanctimonious enough to "teach him a lesson".

Could you articulate just why it is you get angry? Or feel a need to mess with someone for their (poor) choice in car aesthetics?

·
Registered
33 Posts
As a purely performance oriented WRX owner, I have to agree with any of you who are in the "anti-rice" camp. I work in an area of Detroit where theres lots of little rich kids blowing mom and dads money, turning their Hondas and Mustangs into the ugliest, gaudiest and most esthetically displeasing pimp machines
to ever hit the pavement.

Full body kits and wings that barely clear the stoplights, in conjuntion with a sissy, twin tipped, whining cat back ARE NOT IMPRESSIVE. These punks remind me of my mother in laws Maltese dogs when they met my Airedales....Three fierce growls and a nosedive under the couch.

I recently picked up a copy what i refer to as RICE TIMES (aka Super Street Magazine) for the first time, just to see what it was all about. All I can say is....what an embarassing joke. The magazine is like a freeze-framed MTV video based on some poorly endowed, self esteemless punk who bought a four wheeled Japanese oven, modified the oven, became an Iron Chef, and reaped the benefits of instant fame in the form of closely shaved or totally shaved silicon bimbos who then proceed to convince him that the only size that matters is the size of your wing.

Its a slightly free country, so the choice is yours...to Rice or not to Rice

The expressions you see at the next light on the faces of the people driving what they think is a fast car that youve just blown by in rapid fashion in a neutral looking, highly modified WRX, are, in my opinon, 1000 times more interesting than the reactions to Rice on the faces of the ignorant populace who attempt to ponder in their own undeveloped minds...gee, look at that wing...it must be fast!

ps

this is not the greatest commentary in the world...this is just a Tribute

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeah

I agree that each person has his/her own choice ... some wants flash ( RICE ) and some want fun ( us ). The only issue I have is that if you look at any "RICE" car funny they'll "try" to race you ... :rolleyes:. OK point is now if you look at them ( wondering why they did that ) then they try to "race" you ( like an idiot ) then they're trying to "prove" how fast their car is ( again like an idiot ). I think some "RICE" cars look nice ... I just wish they could have the performance to back it up. I even think some WRX owners have "freaky" body kits that I'd NEVER put on my car but if they have the performance to back it up I have NOTHING to say.
It just seems that the majority of the "RICE" cars out there want to look and sound fast ... so point is why they actually are NOT fast :confused:? They probably spent way MORE money than I have on performance mods and the car still sucks. I think Civic SIs have always looked nice but until they can do 0-60 <5sec I'm not impressed. I know they are some out there but I haven't met one yet. I would NOT mind getting handed by a "RICE" car on the streets because I then know they have the peformance to back up their "RICE" features. Also have you noticed LESS "RICE" and "LUXURY" cars on the roads in bad weather ... :D ... I wonder why they don't try to start something w/ us during those time ... no revving, flashing of lights, etc. :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Re: Yeah

chuglobal said:
I agree that each person has his/her own choice ... some wants flash ( RICE ) and some want fun ( us ). The only issue I have is that if you look at any "RICE" car funny they'll "try" to race you ... :rolleyes:. OK point is now if you look at them ( wondering why they did that ) then they try to "race" you ( like an idiot ) then they're trying to "prove" how fast their car is ( again like an idiot ). I think some "RICE" cars look nice ... I just wish they could have the performance to back it up. I even think some WRX owners have "freaky" body kits that I'd NEVER put on my car but if they have the performance to back it up I have NOTHING to say.
It just seems that the majority of the "RICE" cars out there want to look and sound fast ... so point is why they actually are NOT fast :confused:? They probably spent way MORE money than I have on performance mods and the car still sucks. I think Civic SIs have always looked nice but until they can do 0-60 <5sec I'm not impressed. I know they are some out there but I haven't met one yet. I would NOT mind getting handed by a "RICE" car on the streets because I then know they have the peformance to back up their "RICE" features. Also have you noticed LESS "RICE" and "LUXURY" cars on the roads in bad weather ... :D ... I wonder why they don't try to start something w/ us during those time ... no revving, flashing of lights, etc. :cool:
I totally agree :) I like adding stuff to my car to spruce it up on the outside, but performance mods always come first for me. If you can't back up what your car looks like, then you suck, simple as that!

Hehe my friend's Civic Si could probably do 0-60 in 5 seconds...IF he knew how to drive it :D LOL

·
Registered
293 Posts
i hate ricers too...thats all my town is
i would be performance only if my car would be fast
so at end of summer im getin a new car

·
Registered
12 Posts
notice i said i didnt have a problem with people doing anything to their car no matter what car it is, you have that right as a car enthusiast and i respect that and we can have a nice conversation about cars and stuff, its the jackasses that think they are god of the street because they have altezzas and just and intake on their civic, neon, cavalier, blah blah blah, those are the ones that piss me the hell off

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mista618 said:
wrx's can be- "all show, stock go"
That's very true. And I don't agree with that either. But, MOST visually enhanced WXR's have at least a MBC installed. However, I still don't like "STi" badges on regular WRX's. This is rice too. Especialy when the STi hits our shores. I know I'm opening a huge can of worms with that statement, but it's true. The STi has so many pieces of equipment (6-speed tranny, VCT, Suspension, ect) that can not be easily duplicated on a WRX and to try to pass off your WRX as an STi is just ricey. It's like a Z28 with an "SS" badge on it. It's not an SS so quit bullcrapping. Same with "STi". Quit posing, your WRX is no closer to being a STi than mine is.

Oops! Did I just type that out loud?:eek:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Haha...

I agree ... no "STI" anything on my REX. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey hows goes it
im actually 16 yr old witha wrx......go ahead and think im spoiled if you want. in reality i work 30 hour weeks at taco bell for seven an hour, and with the lunch rush im sure its much harder than your average sit in a desk job. anyways im not the ricer type, and hate generalization made about teenagers. i have dedicated myself to learning every little thing about my car and spend hours on here and i club everyday. this summer my plans are as follows: godspeed uppipe, godspeed up-pipe, and some catback exhaust (leaning towards blitz nur spec, but im not sure if the godspeed downpipe is jdm spec, emailed god today) anyways i also am planning on c west sideskirts, rearlip and front lip with a stock spoiler. i plan to leave the car all black, with no decals of anysort on it....... i dont consider that rice and to be honest i really dont care for the look of a stocker, to each his own i suppose. well basically my point is that a car doenst have to look stock and be fast it can fast and be fast, like some have already said.
later,
ajay

·
Registered
147 Posts
people call me rice all the time because have HKS hyper exhaust (5+ inch tip does not help) and one turboxs sticker on my car..........:( , usually after they laughed at me, I will smoke them without mercy. show them what my "rice car" can do :p
Godspeed carries both JDM and USDM downpipe and blitz should use USDM just like HKS, Blitz made their catback that matches stock DP.

·
Registered
310 Posts
ViciousVolpe said:
i hate ricers too...thats all my town is
i would be performance only if my car would be fast
so at end of summer im getin a new car
I think that is what most young ppl wanted. If that what helps them make friends or pickup girls then more power to them. They race because they will race anything that looks fast.

Just like idoit soccer mom in mini van or suv, they will try to speed up and pass you. I have no idea why so many of them do it. Next time drive a minivan or a regular 4dr sedan and see what a big different it makes, no one will notice you.

You might not like the way they dress, their hair style and their rice car and choice of music, remember there are more of them then us, go figure :D

Maybe it is generation gap, you don't have to be old to have generation gap with the younger crowd. Also I remebered that most mag said that girls don't and will never get that the WRX is all about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
haha. ok i understand what you guys are trying to say. call me a newbie or whatever, but come down to where i live, and race one of these "riced" out civics, and when he blasts you at a streetlight we will see whos laughing.

btw im talking about the 4-5 11sc civics that may look "riced out", "all show no go" yadda yadda, but when they smoke you at a stop, dont say i didnt warn you. cant forget the low 13sec neon or the mid 12 talon can i? i guess the point im trying to make is yeah, there are alot of riced out cars, but you know what they say, looks can be deceiving.

·
Registered
15 Posts
impaktedwrx said:
haha. ok i understand what you guys are trying to say. call me a newbie or whatever, but come down to where i live, and race one of these "riced" out civics, and when he blasts you at a streetlight we will see whos laughing.

btw im talking about the 4-5 11sc civics that may look "riced out", "all show no go" yadda yadda, but when they smoke you at a stop, dont say i didnt warn you. cant forget the low 13sec neon or the mid 12 talon can i? i guess the point im trying to make is yeah, there are alot of riced out cars, but you know what they say, looks can be deceiving.
a riced out car with performance mod's doesn't count man... we're talking about people who have full body kits neon lights, ghey tail lights and a 10'wing(i think they are compensating for something else) but under the hood u see a dirty stock engine and the car is slower than a grandma with a walker.. those are the cars that we are talking about. Remnds me of the time I drove a minivan and smoked a kid in an Integra with full body kit. He forgot that a 1/2" exhaust gave away his secret...I respect anyone who spends the money in a civic to make it fast, and look fast, then again i think they should have started out with a faster car to begin with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey geniuses... STi is a tuner brand of subaru that puts out equipment as well as a special tuned wrx. so your saying that putting sti fog covers on your car is rice? . whats next, we should rip the sti embedded in the carbon fiber spoiler out cuz it says sti? give me a break! there's a difference in purchasing parts which say STi on them and badging your car an STi. like u guys, i would never change the badge on the back and put an STi sticker on the back. but saying: "I agree ... no "STI" anything on my REX" is like, WTF? sorry, no one is allowed to purchase an STi intercooler if they wanted a larger one because it says STi on it. and i said "all show, stock go" for fun when i was stock. it was just something fun to say instead of "no go" to other people. not that hey, "look i've got an sti sticker, race my sti" hell no, i would never do that

1 - 20 of 74 Posts