Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Need a recommendation for an all-season tire for my WRX. I don't plan on driving as aggressively as some of you younger guys.
Thank'ee

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
If you insist on all-seasons (there will be hordes gnashing their teeth and pulling their hair, dining on ashes and laying in mourning... come morning, when they wake up and see your post; you can ignore them -- I'm just giving you a heads up) I'd consider spending some money for Michelin. Less money: Continental. Even less: Kumho. You'll get what you pay for. None of this stuff alone is likely to wreck you, but if the luck runs out all bets are off. The winters fanatics aren't wrong, they're just excitable. The Kumhos have a spitting image tread pattern to older Pirelli PZero all-seaons, but I can't recommend the Pirellis because they howl and don't age as well as the others. Maybe personal experience though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads-up. I appreciate the enthusiasm of the WRX crew. I rode motorcycles aggressively for over 10 years, so I appreciate the need for speed. But my reflexes aren't what they used to be.
What luck are you referring to? Getting caught in a snowstorm? Deciding to wind it put on a back road and losing traction?
Thanks again for your input.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. I appreciate the enthusiasm of the WRX crew. I rode motorcycles aggressively for over 10 years, so I appreciate the need for speed. But my reflexes aren't what they used to be.
What luck are you referring to? Getting caught in a snowstorm? Deciding to wind it put on a back road and losing traction?
Thanks again for your input.
If you ride a bike you know exactly the luck I'm talking about. It can happen any time. The idea is you may only need dedicated winters that once, or you may need them routinely just to get to work... I only go to the mountains rarely so I use all-seasons but you're in a very different climate. The safest thing to do is two sets of wheels, one summer, one winter. The cheapest thing to do is all-seasons. Even then I'd spend money on better all-seasons rather than low-tier stuff. It'll make a difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
General question...
Own a 2015 WRX that came with Dunlop Sport Maxx RT. Looking to get all season tires.
How does the gas mileage compare?

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
No change worth mentioning. I would buckle down and actually buy winter tires if you regularly see extremely cold temperatures and or snow. An all season legitimately does not even remotely compete. The absolute best all seasons are only decent for a season, maybe 2 if you only drive the car a couple times a week.

You guys with the all seasons are neutering your car and making it dangerous. Quite seriously, the braking performance alone should be enough to sway you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see... The life and performance on all season tires are pretty lowsy?

Current situation is I live in the Bay Area, Northern California, and take occasional trips to the mountains for snow. Would you still recommend the winter tires?

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
No, you'll put 50k on them, the only problem there is you've got about 5-8k work of solid dependable winter performance. So after the first year they are sketchy at best for winter use anyway.

A seperste set of winters will last you years, likely the tire will expire before you wear it out. In a situation where you will rarely if ever see snow, it's just worth keeping in mind if you decide on as tires.

The last sentence is supposed to say in a situation where you rarely will see snow, just freezing temperatures alone, winter tires will still have advantages.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting.....I have Continentals Extreme Contact DSW06. And I haven't had any problems. Braking as well as handling at high speeds (80 to 85 mph in heavy rain) has been Awesome for me. I have about 8000 miles on them now, we'll see what happens next year.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Had dws on my BMW, winter two will test your mettle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey just bought 2017 WRX in July with stock 18" summer wheels. Getting ready for a heavy winter in NE Ohio and want a complete set of wheels dedicated for winter.

Tire rack suggested bridgstone blizzak 245/40r18 snow tires and I matched those with 18" Andros spec s black rims.

The rims I want for my second set are Enkei ONX 18"X8 and only fit with the size 235/40r18 blizzacks.

Is there a huge difference between 235 and 245 and which one is better for snow? I've read that thinner is better for snow but have no clue what size is preferred. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hey just bought 2017 WRX in July with stock 18" summer wheels. Getting ready for a heavy winter in NE Ohio and want a complete set of wheels dedicated for winter.

Tire rack suggested bridgstone blizzak 245/40r18 snow tires and I matched those with 18" Andros spec s black rims.

The rims I want for my second set are Enkei ONX 18"X8 and only fit with the size 235/40r18 blizzacks.

Is there a huge difference between 235 and 245 and which one is better for snow? I've read that thinner is better for snow but have no clue what size is preferred. Thanks in advance.
Thinner is better. I'm sure others will chime in but the difference between 235 and 245 practically nil. The other factor is wheel size and sidewall depth. Smaller wheel sizes with more sidewall are preferred.

Having said that, I think for most people the difference from stock will not be noticeable, so I would probably get the same size as OEM or perhaps 1" less with more sidewall. By chance I happened to get a 245/45/17 (stock is 245/35/18), and it drives pretty much like the summer tires.

Again, at the risk of beating a dead horse and offending people, I personally think AWT's are OK if that's your only tire and for occasional careful driving in snowy weather. If your car came with summer performance tires, I think it is much better and even cost effective (saving wear on the summer tires) to have a second set, preferably on another set of rims.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,041 Posts
I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's on my Outback.

Every all season tire is a compromise, but I believe the AS3 is the best compromise between driving comfort, wet traction, and dry performance. Wet and dry traction is superb at temps above 40 degrees. They are advertised for light snow traction, but I would never drive them in snow.

I got them from Costco. They were cheaper there than any of the other local shops or TireRack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Awesome thanks for your feedback. I prefer to have a second set for winter and have already saved up for them. Your response is highly appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok so a follow up to my previous question, I've decided I'm going with snow tires for my second set. Can't pick between the Andros or Enkei I mentioned before.

Still trying to decide between Andros 18" black rims on bridge stone blizzaks size 245/40r18 OR
Enkei ONX 18" rims on blizzaks size 235/40r18. Both sets of rims were fitted to those tire sizes by tire rack.

The upside to the Andros is same exact size as my summer set in case I want to swap the rims at any point in the year. I prefer the ONX by looks but lose the option of using the ONX for summer rims down the road unless I buy new tires. Any suggestions would help.

Another question, could I get the ONX rims for winter now, then put the summer tires (245/40r18) on the ONX this summer until I need to replace both sets of tires? Then I could buy my next winter tires to fit my stock rims and my next summer tires to fit the ONX. Or just avoid the confusion and stick with the Andros (same tire fit as my stock rims)? Just trying to make a final decision before spending 1500-1600 bucks. Thanks in advance.

Page 2 of 2

2 of 2

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'd recommend putting the winter tires on your stock rims then waiting till summer to purchase whatever rims you want and adding summer tires to those. If I interpreted your question correctly, you're thinking of getting the Andros rims as an example, putting winter tires on them, then swapping those tires to summer tires next summer. If so, that defeats the purpose of having two sets of rims, one for winter and one for summer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd recommend putting the winter tires on your stock rims then waiting till summer to purchase whatever rims you want and adding summer tires to those. If I interpreted your question correctly, you're thinking of getting the Andros rims as an example, putting winter tires on them, then swapping those tires to summer tires next summer. If so, that defeats the purpose of having two sets of rims, one for winter and one for summer.
Thank you! You're the first person to suggest getting just the winter tires for now. I think I'll go that route and worry about my summer rims in the spring. Thanks for the insight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts