ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i had picked up an 04 wrx with about 39k on it. Knew about a few things that brought it down to 10k buying price, but didn't quite see this one :shakehead:

This is the same on both the driver and passenger side.

On snow, the backend of the car would sway side to side (+- 3ft at times), making anything over 40mph on snow/ice nothing short of terrifying. I brought it in for an alignment, and they stumbled upon this gem. I have no certain idea, apart from maybe curb drops/jacking the car up on the laterals how this would happen. But anyways... Dealer says 725 to fix it. No.

I have these in my garage, from an 04 wrx sti. Apparently the rearmost link uses a different kind of mount for the rear sway bar's connection:

Now i can throw the front links in, they seem to size up perfectly, but I'm a bit puzzled on how eto pull off using these rearmost links, given the bar's connection requires two steel plates to mount into (like the messed up one in the picture). Now i have three ideas here, for my back tires are losing tread at an astounding rate, and i'm in the thick of winter:

-Throw all four STi laterals in, and take the sway bar's linkage out (disable the sway bar): I like this because i don't need to wait for any parts/ don't have to throw cash at this.

- Buy an sway bar end link set for an STi, and use that to go mount into the sway bar. (damn close pricewise to buying a set of rear laterals.)

- Stick with the WRX end links, but snag some washers and macguyver an adaptation to the STi link
EDIT: Explanation to this (my best idea...)

Really my #1 question is if taking the rear sway bar out of the equation (temporarily) is a good idea. Otherwise any input into my situation is highly appreciated.

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
Non-adjustable aftermarket rear lateral arms can be had for around $250. Here's a link to the Cusco ones on Gruppe-S for a 02-05 Sedan (GD).
Gruppe-S Engineering

Adjustable ones run about $500-600.

Running the car without a rear sway bar is not recommend.

It doesn't make sense to use the STI lateral links, if you don't have an STI swaybar and end links to go with it. An aftermarket swaybar and end links will run between $400-600 depending on what you get.

Edit: Are there any Subaru wrecking yards in your area? You might be able to find a good deal on some used stock replacements.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Non-adjustable aftermarket rear lateral arms can be had for around $250. Here's a link to the Cusco ones on Gruppe-S for a 02-05 Sedan (GD).
Edit: Are there any Subaru wrecking yards in your area? You might be able to find a good deal on some used stock replacements.
I don't think so.. I'm over in missoula. Bought this thing in seattle though. Thanks a ton for your advice, but having just spent 400+ on books/bullsh* for next semestre here, I'm just trying to come up with a "patch" solution until i can afford new parts. Really it's just the tire wear and fishtailing that i'm trying to stifle at the moment.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I bent one of my lateral links once after a friend who didn't know anything about cars tried to jack up the back for me when I was putting on my axleback. I just had the dealer torch it and bend it back. It ended up being like $200 including alignment.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
You could always check in the classified here and over on NASIOC for complete part outs, might be able to score some used ones from a front end wreck or something.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah! I've got a garage full of hydraulic benders, I think bending the links straight is an option.. the dealership didn't like it though...

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Because something that is straight and is now bent, will never be straight again. Heat is also a bad option as this will weaken the metal. Buy a set of Cusco Non adjusts and sell the STi ones

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because something that is straight and is now bent, will never be straight again. Heat is also a bad option as this will weaken the metal. Buy a set of Cusco Non adjusts and sell the STi ones
Not necessarily, heat bending it back and calling it good is a bad idea. However, if straightened correctly, prepped and re-tempered correctly, It's yield should be somewhat close to the original.

But down to practical matters, re-bending, prepping and re-tempering is a timely pain in the ass. Buying new parts is definitely the long-term option, but financially it doesnt work at the moment. I'm looking for a <1k mi hack pretty much :screwy:

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Practicality is sometimes a good option, but this kind of thing... I wouldn't go the route you're planning on, personally. I'd try to bum a ride or take the bus if possible until I could afford the better option.

Risk management is the area you find yourself in now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah... You're right, really. I'm losing tread like a motherf*** anyways. Well, garage until it's figured out then.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The re-bending was not meant to a permanent option, but it's a fix and it works pretty well with a small bend. Mine was about as bent as your picture. It's not too significant. Weakened metal was a concern of mine too, but my dealer suggested that route and even warrantied the job.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Cuscos are $250 for just the rear. Personally I would go with these:

MSI tubular lateral links - SEDAN

You get all 4 links for $250, but you have to pay for bushings installed which is $175. For a DDer I would go w/the Group N Bushings. Another option would be to search the Classifieds section on NASIOC, as there is bound to be someone who upgraded them and is selling the stockers.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
If you can't afford it, put a temporary stop on your full coverage where they still satisfy the loan but know the car is garaged. Save the gas money and the insurance on the Subaru. I went to school and specialized in this before my career path changed, I'm not some retard throwing words on a forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
An update for anyone endeavoring a similar situation.

1: Lateral links, especially involving the bolt at the knuckle, are a serious pain. I'd strongly recommend 6-side wrenches, and a hydraulic press to turn the wrench. With the bolt knuckle, once it gives you any movement, just crank it back and forth and apply wd-40/PB to it's channel in the knuckle generously.

2: Sti laterals (rearmost) fit 1:1 in the place of WRX lats (2004). The single ear on the STi (as opposed to the dual on normal WRX mounts) can be dealt with either by using an eighth inch washer in place of the second ear, or by welding the second ear onto the lateral. The washer method works surprisingly well, and if correctly done, will not bend the mounting ear, nor will it hit the lateral itself.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I prefer short sharp shocks - slow steadily increasing pressure tends to snap bolts more often. A BFH with a 6-sided wrench will either fix it or cause sudden death, as the initial phrase means. I've never tried a press on a wrench, but a hammer beats using a long handle for sure. [/us and them]

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am using the Eibach(SPC) Pro Alignment lateral link set. Made in China but they seem to be better made than stock. The welds are not beautiful but functional. They use rubber bushings that also seem to be harder than stock. Adjusting them are easy. I have seen a full set of 4 go for around $260. In my opinion I would go for these over stock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts