ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much benefit would I see from an anti lift kit with upgraded struts and springs? Would the stiffer springs cancel out the benefit from the alk?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
ALK main benefit is caster. Springs would not negate that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But I would think stiffer springs would work against the anti lift and dive benefit of the alk. Sorry if I sound dumb, just thinking out loud.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts
The ALK allows pitch to be controlled more by the suspension by altering the root of the control arms up front. Improving the suspension will not hurt. However make sure the springs you pick are an improvement by focusing on the rates and keeping the car as high as possible (this may sound counterintuitive but the available springs all sell based on "drop" it seems so you will drop the car regardless of which spring you pick, with a few exceptions).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense. I plan on getting the gtworx bilstein struts with rce yellow springs. I've read 10 - 15 mm drop.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts
RCE enjoy an excellent reputation. Talk to them about the ALK too.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Hmmm. I installed my ALK on the stock struts IIRC before I went to the RCE blacks. I can't say without a direct before/after comparison, but I assume it is still doing its thing as far as allowing a bit more dive/lift. As said the effect of the caster on turn in was the most dramatic improvement after the install.

To do it over again now that they have the eccentric bushings (e.g. TIC) I'd probably do that so you don't have to space the subframe down.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
I'll reiterate...

The main benefit of the ALK is caster. Installing springs impacts camber, but shouldn't impact caster (unless you include camber plates, but that's another topic). As a general rule, you can't have too much caster :wiggles:

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I'll reiterate...

The main benefit of the ALK is caster. Installing springs impacts camber, but shouldn't impact caster (unless you include camber plates, but that's another topic). As a general rule, you can't have too much caster :wiggles:
Agreed, but that isn't what increases lift/dive as far as I understand it. The lift geometry allows the balance of the car to shift differently under braking and acceleration and is also desirable. It is hard to say whether that effect is optimized for stock spring rates (I kind of doubt it).

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Actually, it seems more like they are both very major components - in the FAQ the bushings that only affect caster are a "minor upgrade", whereas the ALK which drops the mounting point as well is a "major upgrade". Caster changes are allowed in minor auto-x classes, by plates or bushings, but the change in the mounting point by the ALK which affects "weight transfer" or "pressure" or whatever, puts you in with full race cars in the most modified class.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts