ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually pre-install. I read through the directions, I much understand what to do. I put the car up on ramps, just to see where everything was, and to get an idea about what I need.

The bolt that holds the bushing in the kit is 24 mm, I believe. I read that the OEM bolt was smaller. It didn't look any smaller! It looked about the size they use to bolt lamp posts to the ground. I"m gussing it's 24 also, might be a 22. I don't know. It is also right against the frame. No way to get air to it.

First question: Is it 24 mm?

Second question: Seems the only way to get to it is with a wrench. Is it torqued to the usual 3X torque specs by the factory, or will it break before the wrench snaps?

Third question: Any other surprises I should know about?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Are you talking about the nut that holds the bushing onto the arm? I think it's 22mm IIRC. Torque spec is 140 ft lbs- it's on tight, but not as tight as the two bolts holding the arm to the chasiss- they're 184 ft lbs!!!!!

You'll have to double wrench the end nut and use 6 point sockets/wrenches if you can- don't want to round off one of those.

Pay attention on how the washers (metal/rubber) are arranged on the arm.

Big Sky

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big Sky WRX said:
Are you talking about the nut that holds the bushing onto the arm? I think it's 22mm IIRC. Torque spec is 140 ft lbs- it's on tight, but not as tight as the two bolts holding the arm to the chasiss- they're 184 ft lbs!!!!!

You'll have to double wrench the end nut and use 6 point sockets/wrenches if you can- don't want to round off one of those.

Pay attention on how the washers (metal/rubber) are arranged on the arm.

Big Sky
I did the deed.

No...Only the ones on the end scared me. I had the bigs ones off for hte H-brace, I knew I could get an impact wrench on them. I had put an open end on that end one and kick it off :) I found lining up the bolts to take the longest time.

The H-brace won't fit because of the spacers in the subframe. Any idea where to get some spacers?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Home Depot (or reasonable facsimile thereof) usually has a pretty good variety of aluminum spacers- different thickness/sizes.

Glad you got it on :)- the kicking method always works in a pinch!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big Sky WRX said:
Home Depot (or reasonable facsimile thereof) usually has a pretty good variety of aluminum spacers- different thickness/sizes.

Glad you got it on :)- the kicking method always works in a pinch!
Have people done this? I guess I have to do some researsh. It seemed like quite a few washers on that 184 lb bushing bolt to get it reasonably flush with the flange of the ALK It seems that that bushing bolt is long enough, and the threads are fine, but it's under alot of stress.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
wv_wagoneer said:
Have people done this? I guess I have to do some researsh. It seemed like quite a few washers on that 184 lb bushing bolt to get it reasonably flush with the flange of the ALK It seems that that bushing bolt is long enough, and the threads are fine, but it's under alot of stress.
No- don't put any washers under those bolts. I thought you were going to shim the subframe. I would not mess w/ those two bolts- they are big/long/fine threaded/high torqued for a reason.

I misunderstood you.

I know Uncle Scotty @ nasioc ditched his subframe after he installed his ALK and used a H brace (Cusco maybe) w/ some spacers/shims for it- he doesn't miss it a bit.

Big Sky

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big Sky WRX said:
No- don't put any washers under those bolts. I thought you were going to shim the subframe. I would not mess w/ those two bolts- they are big/long/fine threaded/high torqued for a reason.

I misunderstood you.

I know Uncle Scotty @ nasioc ditched his subframe after he installed his ALK and used a H brace (Cusco maybe) w/ some spacers/shims for it- he doesn't miss it a bit.

Big Sky

Yes, I just went over there and looked around, I know he's running without the U-brace, so he would have put the spacers on the frame not the ALK bolt.

The H-brace itself is about 1/8" to make it flush would be at least another 1/4". So we're looking at 3/8" People apparently do it. Not me though.

The other school of thought is to torque the bejeezus out of it at 184 lbs, and it will conform. I forgot how much it really has to bend, but I think a little H-brace modification is in order. I imagine It just needs a little bit of an angle to sit flush, and a little opeing of the hole for the bolt.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
That sounds like a better plan to mess w/ the brace vs the bushing bolts :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts