Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be old news to some...

Okay, I just spent the afternoon on my garage floor installing the Whiteline anti-lift kit. Older members already know what I'm talking about, but for those that don't: The ALK replaces the rear lower control arm bushings with new polyurethane bushes, and also drops the rear of the control arm down close to 2 inches.

I'd never drove a car with one of these kits installed before and I was amazed at the difference it made. I've only drove the car about 2 miles since installing it, but I noticed a difference right away. No more scary transitions into high speed turns. Drastic reduction in front-end lift under acceleration, especially when turning. I have a rear sway bar, so that may have helped, but I was able to break the back-end of the car loose at will. Turn-in is instant! The car just feels more ground-hungry and aggressive when I drive it now. For ~$150, you'd be crazy not to get one.

One drawback.... and this is a killer for some.... If you auto-x competitively, this kit would bump you waaaay out of class. It is technically a relocated suspension mounting point, so I think that puts you into Prepared.(someone correct me if I'm wrong...)

Anyway, I just wanted to share a little new-found excitement. I just wish I had done this sooner. :D

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Correct on the bump up, way up. When he says prepared, there's no street in front of it.

I'm looking at STi rear control arm bushings, the install should be about the same. Could you give us a little overview in what's involved.

Thanks in advance,

Big Sky

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Install was pretty basic. For me at least. Of course, I was a front-end mechanic for a number of years.

Here's a link to the install on a RS:

http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/modifications/suspension/alk/alk.html

WRX install is the same, with the exception of the chassis brace that is bolted underneath. The WRX kit comes with spacers and new bolts to lower that piece to clear the control arm since it will be lower after the new parts are installed.

I was really worried the bolt holding the bushing to the control arm would be tight. Not the case... The inside bolt holding the bushing to the chassis was the real mother. I did the entire install this afternoon in my garage alone in about 2.5 hours. No air tools. Have a big pry bar handy. Or be prepared to drop the front control arm pivot also.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been debating this kit for a while now, and it sounds like I am going to have to get one. One question though, do you have to have the front end aligned after the install?

Thanks,

·
Registered
192 Posts
The only thing the ALK changes is front wheel castor... not camber or toe... Since castor is set and can not be adjusted, and since both side should be changed by the same amount (advertised value is + 0.5 degrees positive castor from the new a-arm bracket), you don't need to get an alignment.

That being said, it's never a bad idea to get an alignment, especially if you've never done one. These dang wrx's can come from the factory with some funky alignments.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did you get the kit with the softer bushings or the older "harder" bushings? Is there an increase in road noise and vibration? There are several threads on i-club with people complaining about the very significant increase in noise and vibration. The softer bushings were Whiteline's response to the complaints.

Dale

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Rocky,

The STi bushings I am reffering to are the front control arm rear bushings. They go in the same spot the ALK would, they do not change any mounting points however, thus would be legal in STX as a bushing change. They would (should) tighten up the front suspension. Installation doesn't look too bad. I'm getting a set soon as well as the rest of the group N bushings.

Mike

1 - 20 of 38 Posts