ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got Michelin PS A/S+ tires put on my 18 STI. (15k miles).
The car is pulling slightly toward the passenger side, which demands constant minor adjustments. When I apply more throttle, the car pulls more.

I noticed that the tread pattern on the passenger side is facing a different direction than the tread pattern on the driver's side. HOWEVER, all four tires are marked "outside."

Should I bring this to the attention of the tire shop?? This doesn't seem consistent.

The arrows in both pictures are pointing toward the front of the car:

Driver's side tire:

Passenger's side tire:

The tires have about 1,000 miles on them so far. I'm looking for some quick advice so I don't start to get uneven wear. Is this the source of my problem? Why are they both designated "outside."

·
Registered
47 Posts
The tread is asymmetric across the width with one side designed to be on the outside during cornering, hence the "Outside" marking. These are not a directional tread that requires a certain direction of rotation. The curved grooves will point the opposite direction on the opposite sides of the car. Looks like they are mounted as designed. Good luck sorting this out.

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
They are not directional tires. The tread pattern will look like this. When was the last time the car had an alignment done?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An alignment was done a few months ago and the car was driving perfectly straight. The tires are not directional. I think they're just pulling, despite their 'multidirectional' claims. Apparently this may be a common issue. I'm at 300 miles and I think it may be getting better. It's hard to tell.

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
An alignment was done a few months ago and the car was driving perfectly straight. The tires are not directional. I think they're just pulling, despite their 'multidirectional' claims. Apparently this may be a common issue. I'm at 300 miles and I think it may be getting better. It's hard to tell.
Sorry, that doesn't make much sense to me. I'd suggest you have your alignment looked at again.

When your alignment was done last time, what was checked and adjusted?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm. As far as what they checked, I'm not sure. It was aligned by Subaru at the end of May. I'd say maybe 3-4k miles ago, if that. Before the tires were mounted I didn't notice any problems with the alignment.

I do have pretty significant rattle that comes and goes. The rattle has been there for a few months. It's coming from the passenger side of the car, but it sounds more like an interior rattle. I've been so convinced the rattle is on the interior of the car that I've checked under the seats, the center console, and the glove box several times. I was just going to bring it up at my next oil change. God knows I've dealt with enough suspension rattles and it doesn't seem similar to that.

As far as everything else goes, the tires are great. They're quieter than the stock Yokohoma tires. They don't have the respinsive snap from minor inputs and the turn-in requires a little more effort, but I actually feel much more confident with them through turns. I took the car out for my first spirited drive with the Michelins this past weekend. Granted, I will never push the car anywhere near 100%, but surprisingly I like the way they perform better than the Yokohoma Advan Summer Tires.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, the rattle is definitely coming from my passenger seat, which is good. Subaru should be able to take care of that easily.

I'm going to take the car to a shop that has a road force machine this week to find out what's going on. The tires have 700 miles on them now, so I hope that won't effect anything long term.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm at a loss. I have 1,200 miles on the tires. I had a road force test done and the tires were rearragned to have the 'least' amount of pull. It seemed better initially, but the car still drifts to the right significantly enough to have to be conscious of it when I drive and cant the wheel slightly to the left.

I'm going to get an alignment this week. I don't think I'm going to drive 40 minutes to Subaru, and my experience with their alignments hasn't been great. I'm certain this issue happened immediately after I mounted the tires, as that was the first time I noticed it.

I have no optimism about the alignment working, but I'm trying to rule everything out. I suppose my next step is to contact Tire Rack and see if they can assist me. I'm hopeless about that, too.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hmm. That's a tough one I had a full size SUV years ago. Got new tires and alignment, drove great. rotated the tires and it always pulled to one side, slightly. About 5,000 miles later, rotated the tires again and it tracked straight again!. I understand your frustration. I just lived with it ... was working too many hours and didn't have time to pursue the issue.
I recommend trying two things:
- Ensure tire circumference is the same on all tires
-- Is there a batch number ... are they all from the same batch and or date of manufacture?
-- Take them off one by one, ensure they all have same PSI, and measure the circumference
- Rotate tires yourself and see if it pulls the other way
-- Put the left tires on the right and the right tires on the left.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took it to a really good tire shop our area. They did all of the aforementioned, aside from the batch number. I can check on that later on, but I doubt there will be any descrepancy.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The more I thought about it, the more I believed the first tire shop may have blown my problem off. They never even took the car on the road. They looked the tires over and supposedly performed a road test on the tires. I forgot about another tire shop that has fantastic customer service in our area. I took the car there and I explained all of the issues I've been having. They switched the two front tires around and the car drives straight.......... $25. The owner said he believes one of the front tires is bad. But, his advice was just to leave it alone.

The car still isn't perfect, but I've never had a STI that drove completely perfectly straight. When on the throttle it sometimes pulls ever so slightly to the left, now. When I forget about it I don't even realize it's doing it. It seems like all cars have some kind of slight bias. My STI's have always pulled one way or another under throttle. It's documented under other wtf threads. The stearing never felt even on my 2015 or my 2018.

Even my wife's Crosstrek pulls very slightly to one side. Maybe I'm just over sensitive to it. With all of the issues, it's sad to say we're done with Subaru after this. Our best mechanical luck was with our 13 WRX, but the interior was garbage. The rearview mirror just fell off one day, seat covers had to be replaced, and I believe I had a couple other issues. There were rattles everywhere. Her 2016 is due to be replaced within a couple years, especially with our kid coming in May. We'll go back to Honda, or perhaps Toyota.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts