ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this during my research for buying an MR2 to replace my WRX which I will be selling in the next few weeks (anybody interested?) and thought I should contribute it here. It's a good, complete guide to doing your own alignment using tools you prpbably already have. Nothing in here is realy MR2 specific. You will also need to look through other threads to figure out "OK, so I measured it and know how far I need to adjust it - now just how do I go about doing the adjustment?". This is just an article about measuring it, not a "turn this bolt now" type tutorial:

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/BackyardAlignment.html

C

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Even if they started to today I couldn't get one. I'm getting an OLD one. Selling the WRX for financial reasons and looking to spend ~$3.5k on Mr. Two.

One thing I've never liked about the WRX is that it's almost too easy to go fast in it. The CRX it replaced felt a lot faster in the twisties even when posting slower times. Since I'm not going against the watch it's more important to feel fast than to be fast.

With a WRX a good driver would have to be practically trying to put it off the road. Unless I can find a nice Supercharged Mk 1, I'll be looking to get a '91 or '92 Mk. 2 - before they "fixed" (to make the insurance companies happy) the suspension. If you don't pay attention at all times when going fast you WILL end up backing off the road.

I don't think I'll be looking to dial out any understeer with that car. Maybe looking to dial a bit in..........nah!

C

·
Registered
888 Posts
GV27 said:
With a WRX a good driver would have to be practically trying to put it off the road.
You just need to be a worse driver ;)

The MR2 should be blast. Especially in the winter. You'll probably be able to do your whole commute sideways. :D

·
1,816 Posts
The S/C MR2s are still up there in price, and they are pretty rare. Spend the extra time if you can to find one. Good luck! :D
Too bad this isn't Europe and you can't pickup a used Lancia Delta Intelgrale or Alfa Romeo 155 4x4.

chris

·
Registered
0 Posts
GV27 said:
One thing I've never liked about the WRX is that it's almost too easy to go fast in it. The CRX it replaced felt a lot faster in the twisties even when posting slower times. Since I'm not going against the watch it's more important to feel fast than to be fast.
I know what you mean there.... Sometimes I think I could have more fun in my 88 Honda or even my 99 Dakota, because I could really push the car to it's limits without being scared. Especially the truck.. sliding it around on a wet road was just too much fun. But the WRX, you have to go scary fast in order to feel like you're using any skill to keep the car on the road. You mess up there and it's not gonna be pretty.... But for now, I'll just have to suffer and live with it :D

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
fengshui said:
The S/C MR2s are still up there in price, and they are pretty rare. Spend the extra time if you can to find one. Good luck! :D
Too bad this isn't Europe and you can't pickup a used Lancia Delta Intelgrale or Alfa Romeo 155 4x4.

chris
I think you meant the turbo ones. The s/c ones are much older and cheap as hell.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
pityr said:
Getting the turbo? its just a easy to get the MR2T to go fast :)
I'm not talking about throwing parts at a car to make it go fast in a straight line. I'm talking about taking a rough looking 112hp Mk 1 and making a guy in a brand-new 911 pull off the Deer Creek Canyon road to change his shorts after learning the hard way that having a big wad of cash to drop on a car does not make him a skilled driver while trying to keep Old Man Mister Two from tailgaiting him all the way up the canyon.

Yeah, blown MR2s are rare as heck. I'd like one, but realisitcally I'll probably end up with an NA one. I do have a possible line on an SC version though.

Racenut definitely hit the nail on the head - I hardly ever take one of my favorite dirt roads anymore. I swear cornering speeds went up 20 or 30 mph. I used to slide lazily through the corners at 40 or 50 mph. With the WRX, it takes 60 or 70+ mph to take them good and sideways, and that's kinda nuts with mostly blind corners.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts