ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FYI-

The chevron's are getting rid (more like got rid) of 92 octane in Alaska. What this means is that we have really sucky gas (90 octane). I'm looking around for better stuff but am considering an alcohol injection. Till then, I'm adding xylene and/or toululol to up my octane.

Are there any 4eat's using such a set-up? Anything (issues) I should be wary about?

I think the system works independent of Engine managements. If I understand it correctly,
1) The alcohol injection kit injects the stuff in to the air leaving the intercooler.
2) You can run a more agressive maps for timing and boost.

Anyone running the system with the accessport, XEDE, or other EM systems? There are several that run it that also run the UTEC.

I'm just trying to get up to speed on the system. Enclosing a link to the system I am referring to.

http://www.smcenterprises.com/subaru.htm

Edit: I haven't heard of any problems that relate to the 4eat's so I'll probably get it. At nasioc (Alaska Chapter) we are looking into a group buy if we can get a special price.

·
Registered
423 Posts
i don't see a problem with you implementing this sytem just as long as you plan ahead and compensate with proper EM, same as everything..moderation is key....

it sucks that you're stuck with 90 oct....

goodluck on your setup.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right. If my intent was to utilize the benefits of higher octane (beyond my 93 octane map) , I would need to adjust the EM.

I spoke with steve at EMC. It's a stand-a-lone system from the EM that works off of the MAP. My intent is to create octane so that I can run my 91 and 93 octane maps. He says this can be done with 87 octane (87 pump gas + 7 alcohol injection = 94 octane).

Not that it will ever develop into anything, he said they are going to try to send units to TXS, COBB, and Vishnu with the intent that they could tinker with it, maybe work out some mapping for it, etc.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I received and installed my alcohol injection system yesterday. Car seems to be running great. It does feel like my car is running more agressive timing all the time though. I haven’t tinkered with raising the boost yet though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I refilled my tank with 90 this weekend. With the alcy injection, I'm running the 93 octane map. I never put crap fuel in my pickup so I have a hard time adding it to my car. Next time I fill up, I'll try the 88 and revert back to the 91 map. I suspect things will be fine, and then would try the 93 map. Overall, this has been a great alternative (to other supplements) for the low octane fuel we get.

After I installed the unit, I was spraying more (than now) and currently have the spray set to turn on at 9si and the max set for 20 psi (if that's the highest setting). As far as consumption of alcy, I have a lot more left in the tank (to consume the first gallon). It really doesn't seem like very much is being used and it will be weeks or months probably before it needs refilled. This system sure beats adding a gallon or two of toulene, etc ($$$ at 10 bucks a gallon) after every fill up.

I'm happy with this system on my 4eat. :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts