ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
About 3 weeks ago, my 2004 wrx with the security upgrade from the dealer began having trouble with the "chirper" when I locked and unlocked the doors. It would be intermittent at best- half a chirp, only one chirp where there should be 5 etc etc. Took it to subaru; they said that's the name of the game and they cant do anything about it. Great people there.

Last week, the thing quit entirely. NOTHING. I've tried valet mode and the chirp enable/disable (as printed on the back of my key fob) to no avail. I tried to check the wire going into the chirper (it is that round thing kinda above and behind the turbo shield on the left hand side right?) but it seemed to be ok- covered in electrical grease, but connected.

Anybody got any ideas? I'm stumped- and I'm going on a trip on saturday to a city-I really need this thing bleeping like it should!!

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Take it back to the dealer and make them replace it. If they refuse, call SOA. It's obviously defective. My dealer refused to replace my defective windshield, so I sent an email to SOA through the Subaru website. They called me the next day, and my windshield was replaced within a week.

Also, do a search, because there have been a few other people with the same problem, so you might want to read up on what happened with theirs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a search on clubwrx.net- should i look at some of the other bullitin boards?

What can i say- my dealer sucks. I gave them a call again and talked to the manager. He says that he'll take a look at it but it'll take several days and they wont give me a temp car. This is Dan Perkins in CT- avoid it like the black plague.

Any alarm gurus have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
By "chirp", your're talking about the horn right?

When I got my STi, everytime you would unlock/lock the doors the horn would beep/chirp. After a few weeks, it started to annoy me, and I'm pretty sure my neighbors also. So I took it back to my dealer and they disabled it. If they can turn mine off, they sure as hell should be able to turn yours on again. IIRC they had to have the guy who installs all their alarms come and work on it; so it's not a Subaru tech who'll be doing the job.

BTW, we're talking about the "Silencer" alarm right? Cause that's the "upgraded" POS alarm system that came with my car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, there are actually two horns - the horn horn, which goes on when we hit the steering wheel or the alarm is triggered(and the vehicle find feature where you hit lock 3 times) and the "chirp" horn, which chirps to tell us how and if the alarm is engaged or has been triggered. As i posted on another thread, this seems to be a problem unique to the 2004 wrx's (and above?) because the earlier models just use the one horn.

See above for how dealer disabled the chirp thing- I;ve tried that. Almost positive it is actually something mechanical or electrical - I hope its something wrong with the chirper. See the first link above for more info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts