Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an email from carfax saying there is a passenger side airbag recall on my 2012 wrx. Takata Airbag inflator recall to be exact. It says these inflators may explode and result in sharp metal fragments striking occupants. Sounds pretty serious. I have not yet gotten anything from Subaru on this matter. Just wondering if anyone else has been notified of this and if they got it fixed. Unfortunately I've had bad experiences with my local subaru dealership, so this isn't going to be a convenient fix for me.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
That recall is years old. It should have been done by now

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
Yeah we had it done on the Outback some time back. If you aren't the original owner and don't know the history, call the dealer with the VIN to see if it needs it - otherwise just go get it done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got this recall, it was dated January 9th. I got a notice from a dealer, not from Subaru.

This is a new recall.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got this recall, it was dated January 9th. I got a notice from a dealer, not from Subaru.

This is a new recall.
Thanks, that’s what I thought. If you plan on taking it into the dealership keep me posted on your experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
XJMan is actually correct. This is part of the original Takata recall.

I found out on the 31st and I'm taking it in on the 1st for the recall.

I did a little research and the recall for these Takata airbags were done in stages, the earlier ones were first, because they were the most likely to suffer this failure. The January 9th date was the scheduled date for the 2012-2014 period of Subarus.

complicating the issue is that the actual safe replacements are in low supply so they are replacing the cartridges with new ones of the same model, that you will have to have replaced again, when the safe replacements are available.

I didn't look into every subaru, but if you thought your car was safe as I did (2014 WRX) you should run your vin on the government site because these recalls were done in stages.

The government rates my car a 10 on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the most dangerous, and 10 the least dangerous. Further complicating it is whether you are in a high humid climate.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...ta-airbag-recall-everything-you-need-to-know/

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts

This is a new recall.
A new recall would be directly from Subaru. A notice from a dealer is just telling you it's your turn.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still pretty confused on this issue. I haven't heard anything from Subaru or a dealership about this recall. Only an email from Carfax. In fact I just got an email today from my local dealer about 2 open recalls, none of which are the airbags. One for a brake pipe corrosion and one for secondary air pump relay. Both of which I've known about for some time. I don't understand how I might have airbags in my car that may project sharp metal objects and I haven't heard from Subaru at all on this matter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts