ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i just installed steering rack bushings and had to disconnect the rack totally, but eventually got it to where it needed to be. The steering is great now, but as i was backing out of my driveway, i heard a click, then a few seconds later, i noticed the airbag light was on, any one have any suggestions?, im gonna go under the dash and see if anything came undone while adjusting the column/wheel.

P.S. i would have posted this in cockpit/cabin but this is important and i want to take advantage of this forums traffic, please help, thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
wrxwex said:
hey, i just installed steering rack bushings and had to disconnect the rack totally, but eventually got it to where it needed to be. The steering is great now, but as i was backing out of my driveway, i heard a click, then a few seconds later, i noticed the airbag light was on, any one have any suggestions?, im gonna go under the dash and see if anything came undone while adjusting the column/wheel.

P.S. i would have posted this in cockpit/cabin but this is important and i want to take advantage of this forums traffic, please help, thanks
I ahd mine go on once, so i disconnected the abttery for 15 mins and it goes away

now some may say thats not a good idea and you should goto the dealer...

well worked for me :p

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did u hear a click at all?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think its the clock spring/roll connector, any advice besides taking it in to the dealer? or how much this is gonna cost?

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
wrxwex said:
i think its the clock spring/roll connector, any advice besides taking it in to the dealer? or how much this is gonna cost?
I hate to say it, but you are correct. You snapped the clockspring. When you took the column loose from the rack you must have spun it in one direction and not put it back in a neutral position (equal length each direction of clockspring pull).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you train rex, i had searched on subaruparts.com under steering and coulnt find it, thanks again.

let this be a lesson to people who disconnect their steering - DONT F WITH THE STEERING WHEEL

the money isn't the problem, the fact that i now have to put off modding is....

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
wrxwex said:
thank you train rex, i had searched on subaruparts.com under steering and coulnt find it, thanks again.

let this be a lesson to people who disconnect their steering - DONT F WITH THE STEERING WHEEL

the money isn't the problem, the fact that i now have to put off modding is....
Anytime, sorry I had to break the bad news. Look at it this way, this is how we learn:) .

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how hard is this thing to install?

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
wrxwex said:
how hard is this thing to install?
Not too bad. Disconect the battery, pull the airbag, unbolt and unplug the old one, tie a string or thread around the new one so it can't spin on you, bolt it in, plug it in, cut the string and pull the string out, reinstall the airbag, and reconnect the airbag. Keep in mind, it is necessary to fix this, because your airbag system isn't working right now.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
will this repair be in the service manual, cause i just picked one up off ebay and it hasn't arrived, and yes, i want to do this as soon as possible because of the airbag/horn not working.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
wrxwex said:
will this repair be in the service manual, cause i just picked one up off ebay and it hasn't arrived, and yes, i want to do this as soon as possible because of the airbag/horn not working.
It may be, but I'm not sure. I've always been a hands on guy.

·
Registered
991 Posts
my 04 WRX's airbag light is blinking too, but intermittently, it's very inconsistent, sometimes when the road is a little rugged...it's gotta be something loose, right? I just got 18-inch wheels and an alignment done...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Trainrex said:
I would definately go with the loose plug theory.
thanks! I think so too...since I'm gonna have to schedule a time at subaru i might as well mess with the plugs while i'm waiting:D

·
Registered
991 Posts
well..i've had enough of the airbag light and it's scarry too:rolleyes: ...i'm taking it in sometime this week (i hope they can squeeze me in)...do you guys think it's gonna be covered in the warranty (i did get an alarm system with autostart and the wires are underneath the steering wheel column)...how much do you think Subaru is gonna charge me (at most) to get this airbag light taken care of if it's not covered under warranty...i'm gonna have to leave my baby at the dealer for a few days...:( ...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Should be under warranty, if you haven't passed it yet. Unless they can determine that you're catback exhaust effed up your airbag :rolleyes: they are required to fix it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts