ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why don't people use a S2000 style air to liquid intercooler on the WRX/STi? I am using this pic as a prop so people can see what I'm talking about. On the pic where it comes from the supercharger would go to the throttle body on the Subaru and on the pic where it goes into the intake manifold could come from the turbo. I think this would be alot beter than using a tube style air/liquid intercooler and having 2 180 degree bends to make it fit. Let me know what you think. Granted you would probably fit problems with the BOV right there, but I'm not talking about this exact one, just the same style.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Because the front mount gets all the ladies ;) as does the rear mount
Seriously though, liquid intercoolers are definitely a nice stealthy approach.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i think air to water IC setup is as expensive, if not more so, than your TMIC or FMIC setup. some guy at NASIOC is hawking it and supposedly it'll cost more than 1500.

·
Registered
569 Posts
It is prohibitvely more expensive in my opinion and doesnt really net any better gains. You need a water pump, a seperate water tank (which sometimes requires relocating the battery).

I saw some footage of a guy who put one on and with no other modification, it only netted like 15 whp. This is on a 4.6 Mustang.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flex said:
It is prohibitvely more expensive in my opinion and doesnt really net any better gains. You need a water pump, a seperate water tank (which sometimes requires relocating the battery).

I saw some footage of a guy who put one on and with no other modification, it only netted like 15 whp. This is on a 4.6 Mustang.
Is that 15whp going form a FMIC to liquid to air? The only reason I am asking would be for the stealth effect, no intercooler. And so there wouldn't be 8 feet of intercooler piping like with a FMIC.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
The problem with an air/water IC is that you need a heat exchanger and a separate water tank/pump. the heat exchanger works like a radiator for the IC, if you didn't have one your water temps would just increase and wouldn't remain cool.

It's a very pricey thing to do, but worth it if you have a ton of cash. Part of the problem is that FMIC's have been around so long and are so much easier, lots of people make them.

·
Registered
569 Posts
02_silver_wagon said:
Is that 15whp going form a FMIC to liquid to air? The only reason I am asking would be for the stealth effect, no intercooler. And so there wouldn't be 8 feet of intercooler piping like with a FMIC.
The mustang was running a vortech supercharger with no type of cooling of the air. The air/water intercooler netted the 15.

As said above, you still need a sort of intercooler or radiator for the "water". They can usually be smaller than a big intercooler, but still necessary. They work but why the spend the extra loot?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Timdog1650 said:
The problem with an air/water IC is that you need a heat exchanger and a separate water tank/pump. the heat exchanger works like a radiator for the IC, if you didn't have one your water temps would just increase and wouldn't remain cool.

It's a very pricey thing to do, but worth it if you have a ton of cash. Part of the problem is that FMIC's have been around so long and are so much easier, lots of people make them.
And they are better for drag cars. The water will be heatsoaked fairly quickly, thats why drag cars just throw ice in and spray the IC with some laughin gas. . .

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
I know I'm exhuming this thread from the dead, but was doing a search for information and came across it. I've got a friend with an A/W IC that he fabbed up himself. No heat soak, no warming issues, and it looks pretty good TBH. I'm hoping he'll release it for general consumption as I wouldn't mind it at all. Much more robust than an A/A IC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts