ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who all here has their roots in the Air Cooled VW scene? I surely do! I was Pretty heavy into it, but never had money...then my Bug got hit so it was nothing but a pain getting it going again. I now drive a absolutly charecterless saturn. Saving up for the Rex!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had a stock 61 and a 63 bug with a 2110cc dual 44 webs(daily driver) :) and One 1776cc 64 bus. Vw still runs in my blood. Those were the first engines I learned to rebuild. I'm looking for a nice old oval to fix up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had a '67 VW Bug for 10 years. Last engine was 1835cc with dual 40mm Solex carbs. Had KYB Gas-A-Just shocks with bigger torsion bars and big sway bars. Can you say "oversteer":D

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I also cut my teeth on VW Bugs! I had a '70 back in high school with dual Kadrons, Bosch ignition, power pulley, tuned exhaust, lowered front spindles, dechromed, etc.. I got to where I could drop the engine out of one in 30 minutes flat. I had a '69 for project car some years later.

A guy named Bernie Bergmann used to build turbocharged VW engines for people back then. I wanted one SO bad for my car, but could never even entertain the cost. It's kinda funny that 20 years later I'm driving around in a turbocharged flat-four.:)

Here's a horrible pic of my '69:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just upgraded my 73 with the WRX! I plan to lower and slap a massive engine in it... Type IV :D?? I was going to dump all my money into the WRX but I feel the need to drive the dub again. 30 minute engine removals are great too :). I was and still am in LOVE with VW's, love the rex but I cant ignore my first love :).

-Joe

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a 70(?) vw sandrail in backyard im fixing it up. This is my first vw and im having some trouble, but its fun to work on it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
clark wrx said:
I have a 70(?) vw sandrail in backyard im fixing it up. This is my first vw and im having some trouble, but its fun to work on it.
Nice, What kind of trouble are you having... Im sure ALT+F4 can answer any of your questions, hes a smart man when it comes to just about anything I ask him :cool:. Maybe I can help you too :confused1.

-Joe

·
Registered
297 Posts
Underscore002 said:
Nice, What kind of trouble are you having... Im sure ALT+F4 can answer any of your questions, hes a smart man when it comes to just about anything I ask him :cool:. Maybe I can help you too :confused1.

-Joe

Well it wont idle properly, I think it is a vacuum leak, but I can't find it. I've been looking at it for a couple days. Other than that I have to replace all the brakes, and get a new transmission linkage, but those two aren't that hard.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what carbs are you running?

get a spray bottle and fill it with a soapy watter solution, and spray it all over the flanges and anywhere there are bends. also spray it on the carb where the vaccume lines are and where the aluminum plugs are on the carb body.

·
48,699 Posts
Aaaah, for the simple days of troubleshooting a Type I VW engine. It was so simple compared to our present-day monstrosities...:wiggles:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RayfieldsWRX said:
Aaaah, for the simple days of troubleshooting a Type I VW engine. It was so simple compared to our present-day monstrosities...:wiggles:
Yup! Hardest thing i found to do on them was to change the no 4 and 2 spark plugs on the stock 1600DP manifolds...anything other than that was cake! Even rebuilding the engines and Trans!!

My Record for an engine removal was 20min 38sec....now this was on a full chassis lift at my Colleges Auto Shop so i had a major advantage. a average driveway job usually took about 35-45 min

·
Registered
297 Posts
ALT+F4 said:
My Record for an engine removal was 20min 38sec....now this was on a full chassis lift at my Colleges Auto Shop so i had a major advantage. a average driveway job usually took about 35-45 min
Ill probably do it in a couple days my b-day is today so im not gonna work on it today. My engine removing skills on hondas are the same as your old vw skills. I geuss you guys grew up on air cooled vw's I grew up on turbo/vtec hondas.

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
I was also into air cooled VW's in High School. I had 60 and 69 bug, as well as a 67 panel bus. I still have my Small Car Specialties built 1776cc motor topped with dual Dellorto 40mm carbs sitting at my parents house, as well as an upgraded tranny for it. I am on the look out for a Manx type dune buggy or a Porsche Speedster replica.

And I could get the motor out of my bug with the dual carbs in the way in front of my parents house in under 15 minutes. I promise you. I used to pull the motor every other week to adjust the valves. This was the 69 Bug. It was so low, the clip on valve covers would pop off when I went over bumps, so I had to bolt on a set of bolt on valve covers. And the only way to get those valve covers off was to pull the motor.

I ran a best of 15 second 1/4 mile on a stop watch with a crappy launch and a blown second gear(I had to hold the shifter in place) at our local 1/4 mile hot spot.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Happy B-day dude!!!

Yeah I will always be a AC VW Fan! and someday i will build up a nice 1973 Super with a Turbo TIV! German LooK!

·
48,699 Posts
ALT+F4 said:
Yeah I will always be a AC VW Fan! and someday i will build up a nice 1973 Super with a Turbo TIV! German LooK!
Feh, I never cared much for the rounded front ends of the Supers. Give me 1964-1970 standard beetles anyday...:)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shoptalk rocks! Ive spent countless hours on that forum! Was long ago though!

I love both the Early Beetles, and the Later Supers!

If i were to go with an early beetle i would have to do an IRS conversion thouhg!

·
48,699 Posts
ALT+F4 said:
I love both the Early Beetles, and the Later Supers!

If i were to go with an early beetle i would have to do an IRS conversion thouhg!
That's why I always like the late '60's and early '70's models. Best of the old and the new.

I hung out at the aircooled.vw newsgroup when I was into it years ago. Learned a lot there.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Got my start in 5.0 liter mustangs and the sort....but a quick old school VW would be neat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts