ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this just started happening yesterday but there were several changes that occured right before so I want to ask you guys for your advice as to what it could be and what I should do to fix it.

First: Mods
Up-pipe
TBE
GP moto Shorty intake

Now now before you guys start blaming the intake let me say it worked fine with the intake for several thousand miles first.

Issue:
On cold start the engine revs to 1800, drops to 1500 and raises back up for awhile. Then when it gets warmer and RPMs typically drop to around 600, it will dip to 400 and go GLUB GLUB GLUB almost dying...sounds kinda like it's drowning. When I hit the gas I get a lot of hesitation and almost stalls but then goes fine right after that. Drives normal and once it gets to operating temperature it barely fluctuates at idle, although it definately still is not idling right.

Recent changes:
Switched to BP gas on the last tank. 92 octane but I've had bad luck with this gas in the past.
ECU was throwing an EGT too high CEL for three days before going off. Idling problems started on the first time I started the car without the CEL on.

My theory:
EGTs were too high because I did the ECU learn trick which advanced timing too much causing a lean condition. This caused the EGTs to rise and threw the CEL. When the ECU recognized a problem it turned back timing and upped the fuel map. Upping the fuel map is now causing it to run rich at idle and when the car is cold the spark is not as powerful thus causing it to almost stall. Either that or BP gas is just really crappy.

HELP!!! What do you guys think? Should I just reset my ECU and hope for the best or should I go in to the dealer ASAP to avoid future damage?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Try resetting. The worst that could happen is that it doesnt work. Just disconnect the neg terminal and step on the brake for a bit.

Rob

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I'm going to go reset it over my lunch break and hope for the best. I'll keep you guys informed. Any other input is much appreciated.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What kind of gas are you normally using? I use the BP 92 as it seems to be the best around here, at least for my car. I still havent tried driving up to barry road for the 93. How many miles are on your car? I would clean out the airmeter. Many times drivability problems are from a failing or dirty airmeter, at least on Nissans;) Our denso airmeter is the same part number as one nissan uses so I would definately try cleaning it out.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KCREXwagon said:
What kind of gas are you normally using? I use the BP 92 as it seems to be the best around here, at least for my car. I still havent tried driving up to barry road for the 93. How many miles are on your car? I would clean out the airmeter. Many times drivability problems are from a failing or dirty airmeter, at least on Nissans;) Our denso airmeter is the same part number as one nissan uses so I would definately try cleaning it out.
I normally use QT 91. That's pretty good stuff. Last time I had BP performance went down and gas mileage went down. 13k miles on the car. I suppose the airmeter could be dirty but I'm just so shocked the car could be fine yesterday morning when I drove to work with the CEL on then when I left work the CEL was off and the car was driving like ass. Guess I'll find out soon enough if ECU reset will fix it.. :wiggles:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Check and see if there's any crud on your MAF sensor wires. My wife's corolla was behaving the same way due to dirty MAF wires. I sprayed some carb cleaner on them, let 'em dry and she was running like brand new. Hopefully that's your problem.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I reset the ECU. Made things worse. Car wouldn't start. Got it going a little bit and hit the gas and the engine revved to 3k, but was only firing like ever 10 fires so even though engine was spinning really fast was hardly firing at all and so it sounded like it was really idling. well after about 5 mintues of just holding rpms at 2k to try and get her going she finally started up. Had to lay on the gas everytime it was out of gear to keep the engine going. finally got to the point where it would idle but was idling at MAYBE 100 rpms. Noticed I only had a 1/4 tank so I took it to phillips and filled it up and magic! it runs! Have to let it cool down so I can do a cold start to know for sure but for now my ruling is:

DO NOT BUY BP(AMOCO) GAS!!! IT SUCKS DONKEY BALLS!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wow, I have had much better luck with the 92 at bp compared to QT's 91. My car knocks all over the place with the 91 in there. Which station did you buy it from? I will be sure to avoid them. Sounds like there is water in the gas (maybe from all the rain?). Glad you got it figured out and it wasn't anything catastrophic.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KCREXwagon said:
Wow, I have had much better luck with the 92 at bp compared to QT's 91. My car knocks all over the place with the 91 in there. Which station did you buy it from? I will be sure to avoid them. Sounds like there is water in the gas (maybe from all the rain?). Glad you got it figured out and it wasn't anything catastrophic.
Well..again I need to start it up again after work and make sure it's all good but the station was the one on 87th street sorta close to 435.....pretty far west of I-35. Seemed to just get worse the further down in the tank it got so I think yeah prolly water. Going to stop by QT on the way home and get some HEAT and put it in there.

·
Registered
664 Posts
scooby24 said:
DO NOT BUY BP(AMOCO) GAS!!! IT SUCKS DONKEY BALLS! [/B]
BP is actually the purest as a brand... maybe your station is old and the tanks take on water... who knows... but anyone who knows anything about fuel will tell you that BP is as good as pump gas gets...

What you need is

BP 93 octane
Sunoco 94 octane
Mobil 93 octane

any of those three are reputable

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we don't get that in kansas. We get 92 octane. The station looked pretty run down...maybe it was just old. I don't know but I just found out Citgo right next to me has 100 octane so I'm hittin that place up!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
i dont get 94 in chicago, but in OHIO, its everywhere...

We do get 93 everywhere... Im suprised that you dont get it in Kansas... I mean , WTF its not California

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I had the idle problem to and all i had was my greddy evo2 exhaust....i took it to the dealer and they had 2 replace the idle control valve and rear o2 sensor....g2 autozone and have em run a free diagnostic test to check from codes

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah if I would have taken it to jack miller they would have given me a 2000 dollar bill I'm sure. Gas was the problem. She's back to runnin like a champ.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ya if you ever think gas is the problem you could might be able to throw some methanol in the tank. One time we left the gas cap off our lawn mower while it was rining and it wouldnt start the next day. So we just threw some methanol in there and that boy started right up!! Not sure if thats safe on subies tho, lol.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
awww crap it started back up again on the way to work. It still is nearly a full tank. There just must have been a buttload of crap in that gas. I'm going to go get the tank cyphened and change out my fuel filter and hope that helps.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
scooby24 said:
awww crap it started back up again on the way to work. It still is nearly a full tank. There just must have been a buttload of crap in that gas. I'm going to go get the tank cyphened and change out my fuel filter and hope that helps.
No need to do that, it has drains:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts