ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, this doesn't apply to my year WRX but thought it may be helpful.
I've cut and pasted below:

Agile Technical Service Bulletin

This is the first "TSB" we've ever released, but we want to make Subaru owners aware of a problem that we have been seeing lately that is costing customers a lot of money. This is not from Subaru (so no, the dealer won't cover it under warranty, recall, etc.), but we have seen about 5 cases of this in the last 4 months.

This warning is for all turboed Subarus that came with a catalytic converter in the uppipe (2.0L turbocharged Subarus; i.e. '02-'05 WRXs). We have been seeing the cat in the stock uppipe fragment. This has been occurring in vehicles starting around 90,000 miles (most of the cases we've seen have been 100K+ miles, but a couple have been right at 90K). The fragments of the cat lodge themselves in the turbine wheel, destroying the turbo. All the customers who have had this issue contacted us for a troubleshooting appointment because they started seeing a vast decline in the boost their car was able to make until the car didn't make any boost at all. This is typically a very quick decline (only a couple of days). In all cases, the customer has needed a new turbo and uppipe.

All cases we've seen have been '02/'03 WRX's (probably because these years are starting to hit higher mileage), but the uppipe design was the same for later WRXs. Therefore, if you have not upgraded already, we are recommending replacing your uppipe with an aftermarket or stock STi uppipe before your car hits 90K. Swapping the uppipe, while not the easiest, cheapest install, is a whole lot less expensive than having to purchase a new turbo and uppipe and get both installed. This is not a concern for anyone who has upgraded to an aftermarket uppipe because there is no cat. If you are above that mileage and have not replaced your stock uppipe, we urge you to do this ASAP.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us, about this or any other maintenance question.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
If I understand this correctly, a vendor is recommending their customers violate federal law? This might be historic. EDIT: Checked their website; did not find any "for offroad use only" clause in my brief glimpse but did find a disclaimer regarding the vehicle meeting any specification and fines. I assume the disclaimer serves the same purpose, protecting them etc.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
I know in California all smog related components are warranted for 7 years now. So this might be an SOA issue afterall.

·
29,234 Posts
The original warranty for all smog equipment on the bugeye car was 50,000 "no questions" by law. This means that things like the cats and the turbo (yes!) are covered for that long from 2002. Is the 7-year law you speak of effective as of now, or as of what year? This would be very interesting to many owners here I'm sure, as it would cover their cats and turbos plus a lot of other potentially troublesome parts.

EDIT: Searched. It seems aftermarket garages oppose the warranty coverage, fearing loss of revenue. An excerpt from the web:

"Currently, automakers are required to provide warranty coverage up to three years or 50,000 miles (or seven years or 70,000 miles for more expensive components) on the emissions systems of all new cars. In addition, recalls are mandated when any emissions part has a failure rate of more than 4% among all such models registered in the state. Failure is defined as a malfunction that causes cars to fail emissions tests... Although the new rules, which take effect in the 2010 model year, will extend warranty coverage on emissions parts, they also will make some changes benefiting manufacturers. Specifically, the new rules will eliminate costly recalls. Instead, the failure threshold has been raised to 10%, and after that is reached, an extended warranty on the affected part will kick in. Owners of a car with a faulty part will receive notification by mail of the extended warranty on that part alone."

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
I found an ARB trail with Toyota back to 2005 but heres from Toyota's website 7yrs/70,000
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/warranty/warranty.html

Here found it:

Looks like 1990 + MY vehicles.

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/cars/CleanCar/CleanCarPDF/clean_car_california_links.htm
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/cars/CleanCar/CleanCarPDF/2037.pdf

Another great link:
http://www.cars101.com/subwarr.html

Well it looks like as of the first of this year the State legislators approved an increase of 10 years/120k miles on brand new stuff.

http://blog.autowarranties.com/public/item/car-warranty-emissions-systems-being-challenged-in-california

·
29,234 Posts
Fantastic search and links, thanks very much!

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
I bet if you gave an FBI task force 18 weeks and a Ish load of over time they couldn't even find the uppipes location let alone find an aftermarket. Especially a gutted one.

I support this dude. Taking Subaru's crappy engineering and making it right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts