Subaru WRX Forum banner

Should I?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

New to the forum and honestly new to the Subaru world. I’ll be honest I have always wanted a WRX since my friend in high school had a bug eye. Currently deployed overseas and I have been saving pretty much all of my pay (for general savings) but mostly for a down payment on WRX. The market as we know is smoking crack right now however I have found “excellent” deals on 16-17 STIs and WRXs in my price range. I for obvious reasons want an STI but with my credit situation (on the rise but rebuilding, just finished paying off my student loans) and the amount I plan to put down ($12,000-$15,000) I’m finding many in the 40k-80k mile range. Is this acceptable? I know that mileage doesn’t always equate to reliability but would I be better off getting a limited for less miles (and probably newer-ish) but sacrificing diff control, better trans, and everything that comes with being a proud STI owner? I live in MA so snow is a huge concern and my commute to work is about maybe 10 miles round trip so besides occasional weekend rides she won’t be getting more than 300 miles a month. As for mods I plan on slapping on a nameless cat back, access port, an AOS, and some wheels and calling it a day. Also side note, I’m a motor transport operator in the guard yet I just learned how to drive manual (ironic I know) so would a beefier trans be better for someone that isn’t a pro? Any help would be appreciated fam thank you :)

·
Super Moderator
11,951 Posts
haha sorry, 40k-80k miles
I reread it. I lost that in the wall of text.

At the limits the STI with the limited slip and dccd is better in snow. In practice you are not at the limits and it won't make enough of a difference for your average person.

More power holding doesn't exactly equal better all the time. The short ratios leave you paying for it over and over again every time you fill up the tank

·
Registered
1 Posts
I reread it. I lost that in the wall of text.

At the limits the STI with the limited slip and dccd is better in snow. In practice you are not at the limits and it won't make enough of a difference for your average person.

More power holding doesn't exactly equal better all the time. The short ratios leave you paying for it over and over again every time you fill up the tank
So true. My girl is always thirsty.....always.

·
In Æternum
16,277 Posts
Here's the lowdown -- buy the car that will leave you with the least FOMO.

So many folks buy a WRX and then have that complex "maybe I should have bought the STI." If that thought is going to torture you, spend the extra $$ and buy the STI. That said, if this is a question of buying a USED STI or a NEW WRX, I'd strongly urge you down the latter path. It's been my experience that the median IQ of the turbo Subaru owner sits a reasonable amount lower than the population average. Many if not most turbo Subaru's are modified, the bulk of those are modified poorly. If you absolutely must buy a turbo Subaru on the used market, do your best to find an unmodified example. Failing that, stay away from cars that have the hallmark mods of an idiot owner: BOVs, FMICs, most intakes, and coilovers. At least ask discerning questions of the owner that will force him/her to reveal their true level of understanding.

I maintain that the WRX is all the car that 99% of us will ever need. That still doesn't stop people like me spending the extra money on an STI. If your plan is to modify the vehicle lightly, either option will be fine (or at least equally poor). For heavy modifications, the STI is clearly the better option.

Reactions: Lil Peewee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the lowdown -- buy the car that will leave you with the least FOMO.

So many folks buy a WRX and then have that complex "maybe I should have bought the STI." If that thought is going to torture you, spend the extra $$ and buy the STI. That said, if this is a question of buying a USED STI or a NEW WRX, I'd strongly urge you down the latter path. It's been my experience that the median IQ of the turbo Subaru owner sits a reasonable amount lower than the population average. Many if not most turbo Subaru's are modified, the bulk of those are modified poorly. If you absolutely must buy a turbo Subaru on the used market, do your best to find an unmodified example. Failing that, stay away from cars that have the hallmark mods of an idiot owner: BOVs, FMICs, most intakes, and coilovers. At least ask discerning questions of the owner that will force him/her to reveal their true level of understanding.

I maintain that the WRX is all the car that 99% of us will ever need. That still doesn't stop people like me spending the extra money on an STI. If your plan is to modify the vehicle lightly, either option will be fine (or at least equally poor). For heavy modifications, the STI is clearly the better option.
Thank you seriously, I’m gonna have a pre purchase inspection done on whatever it is I end up grabbing but in the front of my mind is an STI all day. Just seems like a majority of people can’t help but smile when they see theirs and regret what they end up doing to it and not the purchase itself. Off the bat should I be worried about one with 60-70k miles?

·
In Æternum
16,277 Posts
Off the bat should I be worried about one with 60-70k miles?
Worry about the owner, not the mileage. That's the biggest concern in my mind.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I second the worry about the owner part. I personally would never buy a used STI/WRX but that's me and I don't trust people. I have owned both a WRX and a STI and would pick the STI everytime depending on final price. If money is an issue though and you're looking for a fun capable affordable car then the WRX is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Here's an unpopular opinion: save your money, buy a semi beater that will last you 5-7 years, and then get the car you really want when you're on better financial footing. I am glad I went this path because my money woes are non-existent.

But, if you're going to buy something, get an STI and then enjoy the car. If new, get a regular WRX. The two should be about the same price between lightly used and new STI/WRX.

·
In Æternum
16,277 Posts
Here's an unpopular opinion: save your money, buy a semi beater that will last you 5-7 years, and then get the car you really want when you're on better financial footing. I am glad I went this path because my money woes are non-existent.
Unpopular maybe, but it's an opinion I share.

Though "beater" may be the wrong terminology. Something reliable and low cost.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Unpopular maybe, but it's an opinion I share.

Though "beater" may be the wrong terminology. Something reliable and low cost.
Aka Toyota Corolla with about 100k. Or something along those lines.

OP I drove a Mazda Protege 5 from 60k to 212k miles. Best car I had because it did everything, not because it was the best car. It gave me a platform to wrench and was economical. Now, I have more vehicles I can shake a stick at, but a paid off, low cost to ownership car was exactly what I needed. I beat that thing into the ground and never thought twice about it. Example: I never changed the transmission fluid (manual) in the 12 years I owned it. I did not know how to, not did I ever think to do it. Now, I am a maintenance hawk and I do everything myself unless I truly can't, then I send it to someone who can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aka Toyota Corolla with about 100k. Or something along those lines.

OP I drove a Mazda Protege 5 from 60k to 212k miles. Best car I had because it did everything, not because it was the best car. It gave me a platform to wrench and was economical. Now, I have more vehicles I can shake a stick at, but a paid off, low cost to ownership car was exactly what I needed. I beat that thing into the ground and never thought twice about it. Example: I never changed the transmission fluid (manual) in the 12 years I owned it. I did not know how to, not did I ever think to do it. Now, I am a maintenance hawk and I do everything myself unless I truly can't, then I send it to someone who can.
If you plan to do mild mods they wrx is ok. if you plan to do big power upgrades and track it then STI. Will save you upgrading gearboxes and brakes which will cost upwards of 10 K just for the parts.

·
Registered
2021 White Base WRX.
55 Posts
$10,000-$12,000 down?
Should get you a brand new WRX $350-400 a month for six years.
A used STI with more than 50k miles will probably be the same price.
My vote is a HARD go new WRX

·
Registered
454 Posts
I know that I don't have much room to offer advice on buying cars, considering that we've had up to 5 vehicles in our fleet, at times. We tended to add or subtract vehicles like some folks change socks. However, I would like to state that saving your money longer while driving a cheaper daily driver is a very solid plan. In a few years, there may be offerings that are very exciting. I know that electric vehicles will have an impact on things. Also, I am not seeing an end to horsepower wars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts