ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I currently have a 2011 WRX that I've put 25k on in a little over a year of ownership. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with the WRX but it might be time for something new.

Also note that I am certain I will be back in a WRX or STi when the next gen comes out, likely in 2014.

With that said, I am looking for a new "sports car" with a manual transmission under $35k. My list so far is the mustang 5.0 GT, EVO GSR, VW Golf R, and Nissan 370Z. Anyone else have any suggestions of other cars I should consider? Please note that I live in Texas and AWD is not a necessity.

I have a strong feeling this thread has "flame" written all over it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Genesis coupe?

Camaro SS?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Mustang GT with recaros and brembos.

·
I Drink & I Know Things
2,477 Posts
It depends on what's important to you...hatchback, sedan, RWD/AWD/FWD...several possibilities. You could even add Volvo C30 w/ Polestar option to the mix. Mitsu has questionable reliability and a pretty harsh ride from what I hear...not sure about it being a good daily driver especially with your high mileage lifestyle. A Mustang is nice, but a COMPLETELY different breed from a WRX. VW...again...questionable reliability. Nissan 370 isn't a horrible choice, but it's MUCH more compact if you need any room at all and is better as a second car. If you like VW you could throw in Audi A3 or A4 as well. Mazdaspeed3 as well. If you're willing to go with a certified used...possibilities are endless. You could get a twin-turbo Taurus SHO AWD and tweak it for an easy 430hp for 35K easy. Just some random food for thought.

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
You could get a twin-turbo Taurus SHO AWD and tweak it for an easy 430hp for 35K easy.
I don't know what used SHO's are going for, but after destination fee you're looking at 40k for a new one. Plus they are big heavy things.

Admiral AGbar, the Mustang GT + Track Package (includes brembos) + Recaros is just a hair over 35k.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
The Golf R currently has a 7 mo waiting list and only 5000 will be imported. With an MSRP north of $35k + dealer pack, I'd take it off the list.

The 370Z is loud, fails at being a car (try to go to the store in one), the rear visibility is horrid and it eats rear tires with its 2deg neg camber factory. And those tires aren't cheap.

Camaro SS to me has poor visibility because of its squished roof styling.

Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, Used Porsche 911, Dodge Challenger, Genesis coupe,

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It depends on what's important to you...hatchback, sedan, RWD/AWD/FWD...several possibilities. You could even add Volvo C30 w/ Polestar option to the mix. Mitsu has questionable reliability and a pretty harsh ride from what I hear...not sure about it being a good daily driver especially with your high mileage lifestyle. A Mustang is nice, but a COMPLETELY different breed from a WRX. VW...again...questionable reliability. Nissan 370 isn't a horrible choice, but it's MUCH more compact if you need any room at all and is better as a second car. If you like VW you could throw in Audi A3 or A4 as well. Mazdaspeed3 as well. If you're willing to go with a certified used...possibilities are endless. You could get a twin-turbo Taurus SHO AWD and tweak it for an easy 430hp for 35K easy. Just some random food for thought.
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I don't have too many must haves which makes it kind of overwhelming. I would prefer RWD or AWD and am also not too concerned with hatch/sedan/coupe as I rarely need extra space and never have more than one passenger in my car.

CPO would be nice due to the warranty. I am not too interested in something without one.

I am definitely going to check out the A4 and C30, I just hope that they aren't "meh..." from a performance perspective after owning a WRX.

Getting a new car is fun but the process to get there can be exhausting.

Thanks for the advice!

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
The Golf R currently has a 7 mo waiting list and only 5000 will be imported. With an MSRP north of $35k + dealer pack, I'd take it off the list.

The 370Z is loud, fails at being a car (try to go to the store in one), the rear visibility is horrid and it eats rear tires with its 2deg neg camber factory. And those tires aren't cheap.

Camaro SS to me has poor visibility because of its squished roof styling.

Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, Used Porsche 911, Dodge Challenger, Genesis coupe,
I haven't been in either recently, but wouldn't the Challenger have similar visibility issues to the Camaro? Dodges typically have tall body panels and short windows.

·
I Drink & I Know Things
2,477 Posts
I haven't been in either recently, but wouldn't the Challenger have similar visibility issues to the Camaro? Dodges typically have tall body panels and short windows.
Not as bad...been in both. BUT...with the Challenger you're probably getting into the V6 with 35K or less...R/T and SRT models are hard to stay under 37K-38K in reality. You may find one for 35K if it's super, super basic with ZERO options. Personal opinion...new Camaro = UGLY. Looks like a cartoon character...the body lines break every design rule in the book.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not as bad...been in both. BUT...with the Challenger you're probably getting into the V6 with 35K or less...R/T and SRT models are hard to stay under 37K-38K in reality. You may find one for 35K if it's super, super basic with ZERO options. Personal opinion...new Camaro = UGLY. Looks like a cartoon character...the body lines break every design rule in the book.
Agreed, the challenger can get a little pricey. If I go muscle car, I am definitely going GT. Out of the three, I feel you get the most for your money with the Ford.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I put in my 2 cents and then some...happy car hunting! Let us know what you decide. (for us curious people)
Thanks Jaysin! I will definitely let everyone know what I end up doing. Who knows, I there is always the possibility that I don't like any of the cars as much as my WRX and keep it. Having car lust can be a real b**** sometimes!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you thought about the e90 335i power and luxury. You could go for a used one that has low Kms and still got warranty for around 35. good looking cars tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts