Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can aftermarket shocks handle the rigors of rallying?

OK,

Most of you suspension gurus are autocrossers who are trying to tweak every last lateral g out of your WRX. I drive my WRX everyday, take it the strip on occassion, and I have rallied once and now I'm totally hooked on that.

The stock suspension on the WRX looks and feels really tough and I can vouch for its ability to handle some pretty rough dirt roads (90 miles in row, to be exact).

Can aftermarket shocks handle the rigors of rallying and if so, which ones?

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Leda and Ohlin also offer rally setups. Be forwarned, these (and Dan's mentioned above) are serious all out rally coilovers- serious performance- serious price. If your looking more for rally x, "recreational" gravel use, etc. the DMS 40's have gotten many positive reviews (and ofcourse some $savings). I think the other option out there (for the less than all out rallying stuff) is the SOA/SPT/STI setup- minimal lowering ~1/2", spring rates that aren't too stiff 217 ft lbs front, 190 rear, 40mm inverted strut (and even more $ savings).

Big Sky

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Yeah, anything from öhlins costs an arm and leg, even compared to DMS. Also to consider is how vigorous the rally really is. I mean how competitive are you and what type of terrian do you encounter. On the same topic of susp....anyone know much about the Intrax ARS setup...think they run a 50mm piston? They don't get much attention(well Intrax isn't usually so hot either) but for some reason they sell for like $2500. I think on some versions they have remote reservoir.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Rally ready suspension

Took a good look under the RUV over the weekend. Plenty of stuff scratched and dented. Missed crushing the oil pan by a few inches. Skid plates have moved up in priority in mods list.(dreams of kevlar)
I'm looking for some thoughts on suspension set ups to handle the abuse. Adjustable ride height is key. I'd like to run -1" for road and +1 for dirt. Stiff springs would be great to absorb the impact.
I know BigSky runs the DMS coil overs but I'm a little reluctant to go with them (one of my first choices)after reading adjustablity stops around stock height.
Any other choices other than coil overs?
What do you other rough riders do?
(Pace, Platinum, Big sky, Et. al, I know your listening)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Re: Can aftermarket shocks handle the rigors of rallying?

PlatinumWRX said:
OK,

Most of you suspension gurus are autocrossers who are trying to tweak every last lateral g out of your WRX. I drive my WRX everyday, take it the strip on occassion, and I have rallied once and now I'm totally hooked on that.

The stock suspension on the WRX looks and feels really tough and I can vouch for its ability to handle some pretty rough dirt roads (90 miles in row, to be exact).

Can aftermarket shocks handle the rigors of rallying and if so, which ones?
Hi Jim, where do you go for rally. I like to watch a real rally to see
it first hand. TV is never the same :D

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Just an update on suspension. While the Giant 50mm DMS are great and widely used in Group N and Open class...there is another step up.....Super 60mm.....sick comes to mind as I've heard the performance is as staggering as the price(just shy of $10K MSRP)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
schischwein said:
.....Super 60mm.....sick comes to mind as I've heard the performance is as staggering as the price(just shy of $10K MSRP)
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What sort of travel does that equate to at the wheels? 60mm, that's nuts! (pretty cool though):cool: ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
bump.
Bueller, anyone, anyone

·
Registered
5 Posts
my suspension idea.

Morriss Suspension, really nice rally coil over, from $2300 and up for a set of 4, I bought a set for my Celica all trac, (which rallispec is using untill my car is done) pretty decent, Mine was a prototype however their WRX setup is even nicer, it has remote resivour and all. for that price.

shock body is 61mm!!! (aka big boy)

Warning Blaitent Plug.

get them from ILP Performance. www.ilpperformance.com
[email protected]
or visit Moriss' website http://www.morissdampers.com/

Made in the USA (important for service)

regards
Jeff

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Jazz,

Those Morris sound interesting don't they? You are correct on the DMS golds (M2's also) on ride heighth. If you want (need) over oe ride heighth you'll have to go 50's- probably raly or street version (toned down spring rates).

If your getting into hardcore rally, the 50's would be a better bet anyways.

If your looking at more rallyx type competion I think the 40's would suit you fine. The 40's are a nice compromise coilover IMHO. They make a great daily driver, work good w/ autox, rally x and the occasional track day. That's their strong point (much like our WRX) they can do anything. If you start to specialize there are better suited coilovers, but they won't do everything.

Big Sky

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah, the Morris' seem cool but thier page is a little shy on details.
Well, for those of you who haven't looked at the other big hit guys, here's some pages:
Http://www.dmshocks.com/
Http://www.belgiumact.com/
http://www.ohlins.com/
The Belgium one is a company called proflex. They've worked with AVS and Cobb. Thier WRX entry in the American pro rally ciriut has been beating the Prodrive car.
Now do I really need a class N suspension in a car I don't race? (I think the DMS golds or comparable will be fine.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you are really serious, I would sugges the DMS50s or the Morris suspensions. Most rallyx and whatnot isn't very bumpy that you would need anything like that though. DMS40s are a very good alternative. Ohlins Japan makes the PCV series shocks which will be over in the US very soon. Ohlins-USA is getting ready to release a 36 and 46mm set of coilovers for about $1600-$2500 I believe based on the same design. Ohlins is better known for their race struts than anything else, but you are looking at $3-$4k per corner for their real-deal rally setup. ProFlex are also very good and used by tons of people, especially in Europe, but they are also $$$.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
If you can, try to get clubWRX & i-club on a joint effort to convince H&R produce "Dune Buggy" coilovers for the WRX.

Since most coilovers lower your suspension (good and bad, depends on the suituation), Dune Buggy coilovers allow for some raising of the suspension height (VW A3 and A4 platforms have this option).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts