Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted this in a previous thread but I wanted to make sure that I could reach everyone with this question. If you have already have read it, sorry for the repost.

This is a question for anyone else who has a catless 4EAT. I was wondering about afterfires (backfire). Does anyone have the traditional rally car "Pop" or a fireball out of the exhaust when letting off the gas or when the car shifts? I have heard of the manuals doing this when running catless and don't see why the auto wouldn't neither, but I figure I would ask someone who may already have this experience. I actually wouldn't mind have the occasional "Pop". I'm just trying to see if this is the case with 4EATs so I'm am not surprised or scare the living he!! out anyone standing behind me for the first time (or maybe to scare them intentionally ). Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
Running without an exhaust from the DP back, I've been able to produce flames and the popping when downshifting. No large fireballs though, which is a good thing considering it's right under the passenger compartment!

Sorry..no pics or vids.
Scott

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have downpipe, uppipe, and other mods, and when I had a BOV, it backfired. As soon as I took off the BOV, no more backfires.

It wasn't sounding bad, IMHO. Not like a old truck back firing.

joe

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What uppipe and downpipe were you using, Joe? Were you catless?

Scott, that would be sweet if you could get your car doing that on vid:cool: .

Anybody else have this occur?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm currently running a scoobysport downpipe, vishnu up, and stock third cat with stock resonator pipe with prodrive muffler.

When I had the back firing, I was running with the cobb catback and BOV (love the sounds and all, but the 'man' doesn't). To clarify, it didn't pop all the time, it seem more noticeable at lower rpm / speed. I would not worry about it.

joe

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually not really worried about it. I actually think it would be kind of cool. I just know that this is a common occurance w/ the manual trans running catless during decelaration and when shifting. I wanted to see if there was anyone that has there auto WRX completely catless and if it does anything like the manauls. I have heard the WRX "afterfire" before (it was a manual tranny though) and I think it sound actually really cool. I also think the puff of fire that some people have shoot out of their tailpipe is also kind of cool, but that is where I would be worried about the "man" being behind me. If he (or she for that matter) were to see that, he/she would know that I'm catless for sure (she maybe would, but I think not) and send my catless a$$ to the DMV to fail:mad: . Plus I just wanna make sure what I'm getting into. Thanks all

--Jay--

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, Joe, have you taken the Rex to the track yet? If so, what kind of numbers are you pulling? Also if you have, did you run it before the upgraded TC? What were the number differences between stock TC vs. modded TC? Thanks

--Jay--

·
Registered
41 Posts
No track times, a few g-tech times. 0-60 stock, 7.1 seconds, after TC and some mods amd brake torque 5.2 seconds. This was on the stock turbo.

joe

·
Registered
392 Posts
I used to backfire, but since i put on the VF22 i haven't as much. I saw it backfire when my friend was driving my car. I was shooting out blue flames. Looked pretty cool

·
Registered
306 Posts
with the rfl it backfires like whoa and now with the hks cat back it shots some nice blue flames, but the best back fires was with the catback with no mufler just tip that would pop two times louder then it being wot. just imagine having it placed down in 1 launching revs get to the red then bam popppppppppp grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 3rd poppppppppp

1 - 12 of 12 Posts