ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So most of you guys know I bought this modded 09 WRX... It came with original catted downpipe, and all kinds of other mods. The DP was replaced with original so they can legally sell the car. Now I put the downpipe on that the car was tuned for. Invidia 3" catless. Next day I took it out on the raod. After making sure the engine is at normal temps, I puored it on. Second to about 3-3.5 k rpm. Then 3rd wot. At a little over 5K rpm I heard "poof--poof" , the pull quit, check engine light, VDC light came on and Cruise control started blinking. Power cut out hard. After initial shock I checked engine sounds, behavior. All seemed normal, exept not all that terribly much power. Drove it home, seemed to run just like it did before, with the catted downpipe. Didn't push it in any way, though. Hooked up Tectrix and laptop. Started learning view. Code was something with wastegate.... Didn't really pay attention, panik mode. Reset ECU, lights went out. Car has run normal since. Had one occasion to hit it on the way to work this morning, it pulls like crazy.
Lesson here:
Always reset the ECU, don't run with the learned values, this is even worse than restting and starting the learning from zero.

Any other thoughts ?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
My main thought is if they put the stock DP on, did they return the engine management to stock?

Meaning...if you put the aftermarket DP back on, are you sure you're running a correct tune for it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think if it happens again definitely write down what the code was. I would have thought it was the pesky p0420 but if you did check it and it said wastegate I have no clue. I don't suppose you logged the incident did you? I would just keep an eye on it and do some logs to make sure you're not getting hurting the engine.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
speedtown said:
I think if it happens again definitely write down what the code was. I would have thought it was the pesky p0420 but if you did check it and it said wastegate I have no clue. I don't suppose you logged the incident did you? I would just keep an eye on it and do some logs to make sure you're not getting hurting the engine.
Without actually seeing the code...
P0244 Wastegate Solenoid ____

In lamens terms, "overboost"

It can happen in colder weather, catless pipe, road undulation, etc.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to Eric of Torqued Performance the current tune is for the NOW set-up...

And I think that P0244 was what it was.

If I get it again, sure I'll have a screen shot, especially since now I know that it's not a cause for panik! Anyways, as time goes I'll be logging just for my own piece if mind... But so far it seems pretty good.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, this is nice: I hear the turbo spooling up and starting to work at as low as 1200 rpm. The torque at low rpms has definitely improved. Cool...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts