Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here is the scenario. . .

bought the AEM pulley wich I thought was both the crank and the alternator at the time now the company has finally emailed me back and said that it is just the alternator and that is was shipped 2 days ago.

now my question. . .

can i use the AEM alternator pulley with say another aftermarket one (cant think of any brands at the moment) will i be able to find a belt that will fit the two together

i dont know what the hell to do this f*%^n sucks!!

any feedback will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Get in touch with T B Racing. They have one for $125 shipped. See if that works with the AEM alternator pulley. Good luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here is what TB Racing said about it but it does not tell me enough can anyone elaborate on this?

Our pulley design is not underdriven. Meaning it is the same size as the
stock pulley.

If the aem pulley is designed to work with the stock diameter pulley, then
our pulley should work with it as well. You would use whatever belt works
with the aem alternator pulley.

I can make no promises as to performance gains or any problems you may
incure mixing and matching like that, as I am not familiar with the aem
pulley.

I can say that our pulley alone adds about 8hp and thats defiantely a gain
you will feel.

Brad
TB RACING
www.tbracing.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
what that means is if when you put the AEM pulley on your car, the belt fits, if you put their pulley on too, the belt will still fit. however, they don't know how much power it will give you with the 2 of them together.

·
Registered
559 Posts
JHSPayBar said:
what that means is if when you put the AEM pulley on your car, the belt fits, if you put their pulley on too, the belt will still fit. however, they don't know how much power it will give you with the 2 of them together.
Thats it:D :D
I think they will match too.
but i want to know what will happen in HP gains.
As both units are designed to be in use with stock parts.
Tuca

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do any of you think that using the two together would hurt the engine in any way considering that they are both designed for a stock setup?

(going to email AEM soon so i will post that asap)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
If the AEM pulley is not that same size as the stock one it replaces, then the belt won't fit. If it is the same size then it will fit since T B racing's is the same size as the stock one it replaces. Are you getting me? If not, then let me know if the AEM you have is same size as stock or not, and I'll let you know if the belt will fit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well considering TB said that i could use the belt supplied with the AEM pulley with their pulley the install is not the question anymore because it will work with AEMs belt.

now the question is will running both the AEM alt. pulley and the TB crank pulley harm my engine in any way that is what TB did not tell me because they said they were not familiar with the AEM pulley.

Will these two pulleys work together, work against each other or will they screw things up is the question.?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I am a person who dont like pulleys mods.
If you get underdrive pulleys(as your AEM),,you will have a weak electrical system and using a lighweight crank pulley may lead you to Crank problems.
There are many treads of pulleys ,,if they are bad,good..
I really dont like the fact that i can damage my engine for a 4 to 5 HP gain and have a weakened electrical system.
They give you very little gains for the problems they can cause you.
Tuca

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
fatalbertswrx said:
well considering TB said that i could use the belt supplied with the AEM pulley with their pulley the install is not the question anymore because it will work with AEMs belt.

now the question is will running both the AEM alt. pulley and the TB crank pulley harm my engine in any way that is what TB did not tell me because they said they were not familiar with the AEM pulley.

Will these two pulleys work together, work against each other or will they screw things up is the question.?
Hmmm...I'm really not sure on that one. Sorry dude...hope somebody can shed some light on this.

I do, however, share the same outlook as Tuca on the whole pulley issue.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
well is there anyone out there that makes a harmonically balanced crank pulley for out cars.? from what i hear they will do no damage whatsoever to the engine .

WRXin why do you and Tuca share the view that pulleys will mess up the crank or anything else? i have heard that before but no one ever elaborated.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The stock engine is made to work with that size and that weight of of pulleys..
i just think changing them will unbalance your engine.
I dont think they worth it for a very little HP gain.
I love reliable mods and i think its better to pay 150 for Samco IC hoses than 80 for pulleys and both gaining the same little HP.
If i had to buy a lightweight pulley,,i would buy the expensive zerosports piece.
its used by the WRC cars and they are not underdriven,,,same size as stock,,and you can notice its a little heavier than other lightened pulleys like GFB or any other.
Tuca

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
fatalbertswrx said:

WRXin why do you and Tuca share the view that pulleys will mess up the crank or anything else? i have heard that before but no one ever elaborated.
It's not so much that I think that it'll mess up the engine, but rather that I don't like the fact that my battery and A/C will suffer for a little amount of power. Now keep in my mind that I have no first hand experience with pulleys, which is why I make a sketchy argument at best. I'm rellaying to you what I've read from other people's posts. There are some people who have pulleys and are happy with them, but it's just the loss of battery and A/C power that gets me. I live in Houston, TX and it gets way too friggin hot for my A/C not work properly...get what I'm saying.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok i have heard in the past that some that are

"harmonically balanced" are supposed to be better can anyone give me some more info on that and maybe if any are made for our cars.?

·
Registered
48 Posts
tuca, i agree with you......

but.......

if u think about it, almost every aftermarket part can either damage or cause problems to your engine

·
Registered
559 Posts
I dont think changing a uppipe ,downpipe,catback,samco hoses,
Those mods are very safe and some of them even help you with reliability as the uppipe witth a cat on it.
I think some mods are safe and some are not safe,,but i think any mod made by a good experienced person will be reliable.
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
9 Posts
fatalbertswrx said:
well is there anyone out there that makes a harmonically balanced crank pulley for out cars.? from what i hear they will do no damage whatsoever to the engine .

The biggest reason is the risk versus the pay back... you gain minimal performance at the risk of damage to the crank... if you damage the crank you are out a short block... not just a pulley, belt, etc.

The other mods... intake, uppipe, chip, exhaust... really don't involve moving parts with a lot of stress like the crank shaft... and the reality is the lightened crank doesn't really give you increased HP... it has just reduced the parasitic effect of turning a heavier crank pulley... It is more like you lightened the weight of your auto 100+ lbs.

I don't really think they are worth the risk for the minimal amount of payback.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok so i have been reading up on these pulleys everywhere and what i have seen is that a balanced crank pullley should not throw the crank off at all and the alternator pulley will not hurt at all because the aem is lighter and smaller so the alternator is still putting out the same as stock so it will should not lose any power electrical wise.

right?

so are there any companies that offer a balanced crank pulley for our cars?

·
Registered
559 Posts
fatalbertswrx said:
and the alternator pulley will not hurt at all because the aem is lighter and smaller so the alternator is still putting out the same as stock so it will should not lose any power electrical wise.

right?

WRONG.....
So you are saying running a underdrive pulley will not give you any adverse effects??
you dont know what you are talking about.
UNDERDRIVE PULLEYS WILL NEVER PUT OUT THE SAME AS STOCK..NEVER..NEVER..
YOU WILL LOOSE ALOT OF ELECTRICAL POWER.
Tuca

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Tucca he means if you replace the alternator pulley with a smaller one as well then it can still turn the alternator at the same speed as stock if the new pulley is sized correctly. Its like underdriving both the crank and the alternator.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts