Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have been hearing the AEM CAI actually SLOWS your peformance...is there a shred of truth to this?...i have heard this mostly happens on stock motors?...whats the deal?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so there is only hearsay no evidence?...im callin bs on this...

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: AEM CAI slows you down?!

SobeWRX said:

thats like dyno testing an intercooler, it is very hard to get acurate results. the CAI obviously relies on getting cool air forced into the wheel well which will be diffacult to reproduce on a dyno.
the photos show a large fan blowing air over an open engine bay. weapon R did this, and was heckled off of the i club b/c the posted 5 hp gains, but with NO heatasoak on a cold car. :rolleyes: you can't win either way.

and if dyno graphs wouldn't convince you, than what tests would you suggest to support your theory? NONE? stands to reason that a mediocre test with some flaws is better than completely unfounded rash assumptions, no?. it is the only standardized test of power increases out there... so why argue if nothing will convince you? :rolleyes:

also , now that you mention the "once moving" principal, people on this board have tested the temps in the engine bay after the stock "fender fed" system was replaced, and found the inside the bay temps equal the outside ambiant temp EXACTLY. see HERE

so if you're not even pulling in cooler air, all you've got is a more constricted intake tract. there's no discussion about that being a negative, is there?

This is a link to subaru review on AEM CAI. notice more people said they felt a decrease in power than an increase. also note, anyone with a G-Tech or another analysis tool (like track times) said there was either no gain, or a loss in power from the part.

dR

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don’t understand why people argue?? This is The Second post I have come across in the last week. I hope this "Discussion Board" Doesn’t turn into a Sh*t board like the "Other Board" that’s out there. :rolleyes:

DONT MAKE ME SING CUMBIYA!!!! or however its spelled! :p

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well whatever the case im just gonna take my restrictor out and drop in a k&n or some crap like that...anyway thanks for the input...

·
Registered
221 Posts
what are your long term power goals for your car???
if you have a turbo swap in your future plans why not go with a short ram or cai now rather than a K&N and a buch of cutting and hacking on the oe, then swapping for a short ram or cai a year from now... $0.02

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well my power goals at the moment are 320-350at the crank...im sure that will change when i achieve those figures but anyway thats what im aiming for...what intake would you suggest?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had an AEM CAI installed on my WRX since last December.

Besides the subjective improvement in sound - I personally think it sounds great - the main thing I noticed was that my car seemed to build boost slightly quicker (we're talking hundreds of RPM, not thousands) than before and hold boost for longer. I didn't have a boost guage installed prior to getting the CAI so who knows for sure. :rolleyes:

I do love the sound though.

BTW, I recently installed the SPT muffler so now I can hear myself coming and going. :D

Cheers!
David

·
Registered
735 Posts
My friend (WRXG0blin) and I hacked up his filter box after doing the resonator removal, and made a homemade short-ram out of it. It retains the MAF sensor thing, and uses an AEM cone filter. You can hear the turbo, the stock BPV, and the engine growl, though the AEM intakes probably sound better.

The intake dosen't really do much in terms of seat-of-the-pants.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts