ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have an 02 WRX and i was looking into lowering it slightly, i dont want to lower it very low, just something sublte, like inbetween one to two inches. i have found some spings i like, and they sound good to me.....now i know that spings are not as good as a new suspension kit, but i only want the springs, i am looking for a cheaper way to lower the car a bit, and get rid of a little roll, and have a stiffer ride......i know it will be subtle, but thats what i am looking for.....
here are some i have been looking at, i am gonna post some direct links to them(hope the links work) if they dont just copy and paste them to the address bar.....please tell me which of the two are better to get....also if you know of any other brands that would be nice for the same price (under 350) please post links to thoes as well!
thanks a lot
1) http://fastwrx.com/prodsprin.html
OR
2) http://fastwrx.com/sptpespset.html
OR
3) http://fastwrx.com/apspforwrx.html
OR
4)http://fastwrx.com/hrsportsprings.html

hope they work thanks again for any advice

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Do a search on springs ...

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
yeah you should search "prodrive springs" or "h+r springs" or other things like that. the prodrive springs give a nice subtle drop and are a nice improvement in handling over stock springs. the h+r look great and apparently ride pretty nice as well, but i dont know from experience. eibach is another option, and probably the most comfortable of the bunch since they are progressive. they give a decent drop, but i prefer the other two i mentioned looks-wise.
i'd lean toward prodrive myself just because thats what i know.
bryan

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was in ur boat and i went with tein h-tech's. Im getting them put on tomorrow ill let you know the ride is

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone
VR4, when you get yours and put them on, photograph your ride, i would like to see how much they lower it, thanks for your help
anyone else that already has lowering spring kits on their rides, if you could photograph it for me that would be great
thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
i think the perrin springs are a good choice. ive had tein on stock struts, and pinks on sti struts. and for stock strut and less than 200 bucks, id go with perrin springs.

·
Registered
279 Posts
H-techs= what u want

ride loooks teh sexy and ppl that have been used to riding in my car (gf snd friends) can't even notice the ride difference. the only noticable difference is the handling, its easier to point the car where you want it in turns (if that makes any sense). Body roll is still prominent but lessened some. Think you need front/rear sway/strut bars to kill the roll.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
how many miles on your 02? Understand that if you're getting up there in mileage, lowering springs on stock struts might just send them to the junk yard faster, and have a negative effect on handling.

regardless of lower stance, a blown strut should be far away from your goals. :)

dR

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah, I would just save a few more hundred dollars and get STI takeoffs. If you search around you could get them for a great price. Plus you'll have a 44mm inverted super strong strut that is made for the springs. If you later want to lower the car for looks or go for a bit better handleing you could do that too, without as much of a problem as blowing the stock struts from the WRX which are weak for aftermarket springs. jdmpartstx.com sells packages

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have 44k miles on my 02 BTW.......yea i am still thinking aobut all the options, please keep letting me know of positive/negative effects of aftermarket springs, thanks everyone

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what are sti takeoffs.....where can u buy them, how much (i am new to all this) send me a link to a place that has them so i can see? thanx

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ook, thanx but will that lower a regualr wrx much? and how much stiffer....ive heard prodrives are like 30% stiffer, are the takeoffs better than that.....and how much do ppl usually ask for them

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sti take offs would be usually struts,springs, and tophats. You can get them from jdmpartstx.com for about $500-745. It is a very good compromise for real world driving and track ready suspension. Version8 (V8) USDM or basic JDM takeoffs would be $550 or so. So for a few hundred more, you would have a suspension designed to work together. They would have low milage too. Struts are 44mm compared to the WRX 20mm (I think, not sure exactly but close). The spring rates for V8 are almost double, a little stiffer than prodrives cause those are designed for the stock struts. They should lower the WRX about 1" all the way around. You will still have the small rally gap in the front. STI also makes pink springs that are designed to lower more and provide even better road handling with the struts. They are kinda spendy springs just like the prodrives though. This is the suspension for me cause I need to drive through snow, and steep driveways. They are cheap and can do well on the track, dirt, and road trips. Also the tophats are stiffer than the WRX and will prevent more deflection, and provide more response.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
VR4 said:
I was in ur boat and i went with tein h-tech's. Im getting them put on tomorrow ill let you know the ride is
How much are you paying to get them put in??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts