ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently returned from Iraq and bought an 04 WRX sedan, 46k miles :D . Came with a set of <50% life 205/55R16's, and I've decided the first upgrade will be better tires. I've been looking on several sites and subydude.com tells me that a 17x8 wheel will work fine w/ 48mm offset. I've pretty much decided on the wheels I want (Rota Boost 17x8/48mm should fit nicely) My only questions before I go ahead and bite the bullet is 1) before I bought the car it had STi springs fitted onto it, will this affect the width of tire I can get since they are different from stock springs. 2) Will 225/45R17s sit well on the 17x8 Rota?

I've been bombarding my friend with all sorts of questions so I figured I'd throw these ones out to a broader media, and having never done tire/wheel work before I'm genuinly curious. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, when I do get the new wheels/tires mounted, my friend mentioned that I should have them ?balanced/cambered? to an 04 STi's specifications since the upgraded springs. Valid idea/hogwash?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
225/45/17s will fit perfectly onto your 17x8 rims, and those rims will be perfectly fine for your WRX:cool:

STI springs don't really affect much other than the ride feel and possibly a little ride height. STI Springs will be stiffer, which makes for better handling. They may also be a tiny bit lower than the stock springs, but not really noticeably.

Wider tires should also help with the handling combined with the stiffer springs.

And a full alignment is always a good idea with the change of any suspension part, including wheels since they are different. Word has it that the smallest bit of negative camber is very beneficial to the handling of WRXs. :cool:

Edit!

Welcome back from overseas and thank you for your duty! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Excellent news, now to find said wheel/tires and get them on my suby.

Edit: Does anyone happen to have a picture of what these would look like on my 04 WRX Platinum Silver, I'm leaning towards the Gunmetal ones atm but could be swayed if there is a better look.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
~$1500 from subydude.com with falken st115's mounted already, luckily tax return will eat up half the bill. Still can't believe they aren't shipping for free when I'm spending $1300ish before s/h.

Next up will be a boost/egt/oil press guage cluster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts