Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just a few random questions that I hope you peeps can help me out with:

1)How do you know if your car has top feed or side injectors?

2)What's the best gearbox upgrade for a 2004 WRX?

3)Is there any benefit or is it worth installing a STI inlet manifold?

4)Does a turbo back exhaust include the dump pipe?

5)Do you need a electronic boost controller (eg APexi AVCR) if you're using for example, a Grimspeed 3 port boost solenoid?

I think that's all the questions. Thanks in advance!

·
Æternum
15,546 Posts
Every USDM WRX before 2015 has had top-feed injectors.

Depends on what you are doing with the car. If this is a dedicated RallyX car, I'd recommend a sequential... see where I'm going with this?

No. The STI intake manifold is identical to the WRX intake manifold (2002-2007) except red.

I don't know what this means. As in plumbing for an EWG? For the OEM turbo and exhaust routing, the wastegate is integral.

5)Do you need a electronic boost controller (eg APexi AVCR) if you're using for example, a Grimspeed 3 port boost
The OEM ECU controls the boost solenoid. The GS 3-port is plug-and-play, minus the necessary ECU mapping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks heaps mate for the reply. I know more now than i did 5 minutes ago!

I guess the term dump pipe is a Australian thing? From what i know it's the part of the exhaust that comes straight off the turbo? However I'm not sure if that dump pipe is part of the TBE or the TBE starts after the dump pipe?

So with the GS boost solenoid, how do you select your boost level whilst driving or are you tuned to a fixed boost level (ie no high and low boost settings)?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Every USDM WRX has had top-feed injectors.

Depends on what you are doing with the car. If this is a dedicated RallyX car, I'd recommend a sequential... see where I'm going with this?

No. The STI intake manifold is identical to the WRX intake manifold (2002-2007) except red.

I don't know what this means. As in plumbing for an EWG? For the OEM turbo and exhaust routing, the wastegate is integral.

The OEM ECU controls the boost solenoid. The GS 3-port is plug-and-play, minus the necessary ECU mapping.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
The pipe that connects to the turbo on the out side is a down pipe, on the in side is the up pipe.

·
Æternum
15,546 Posts
are you tuned to a fixed boost level
Yes.

But what is the purpose of this? Cobb does this with the modern DBW cars and calls it "boost select." I think it's idiotic for a road car. For a race car that needs to meet different requirements between qualifying and the race, I get it.

If you really wanted to do this, you would set up different maps on an AP (for example) with different boost profiles and use the "realtime flash" function to switch between the maps.

If using a standalone like Haltech or Megasquirt, just wire in a button as an input to the standalone controller.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,

Just a few random questions that I hope you peeps can help me out with:

5)Do you need a electronic boost controller (eg APexi AVCR) if you're using for example, a Grimspeed 3 port boost solenoid?

I think that's all the questions. Thanks in advance!
All of these queries can be answered by your nearest mechanic!
Since I live in Chatswood, my mechanic top pick is Karl Knudsen Automotive. With their good quality services and friendly crew, it's the one to beat for me :)
Good luck finding solutions!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts