ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all, I am new here and would love some advice.....
Here we go, Im in the process of buying a damaged but repaired 2002 Impreza WRX Turbo Automatic with 61,000 miles on the engine. New tires and stock wheels. The only aftermarket upgrades I know of is a performance air intake. The interior of the car is mint, more or less perfect. All gadgets work, windows go up and down smooth. All doors work as they should. Now the exterior is very nice, with the exception of the reveal being off between the passenger door and the front fender. Minor though.
Now about the damage. The car was hit on the passenger side in the middle of the front door. I believe both passenger doors, front fender, and minor interior parts were replaced.
I drove it yesterday and loved it. It shifted nice between gears and had plenty of up and go for an automatic. Heres one thing, when stopped, E brake pulled and still in drive, it shook a little. Also when shifted into reverse... Is this normal or??
Im wondering if the frames bent? Driving I couldnt tell. The dealer was very open with all paperwork, including pictures of the damage before repaired. And he said the frame was NOT bent. Im also wondering, being hit in the side, would such a jolt damage the engine or tranny? Or create further issues down the road?
I apoligize for all questions, but any information and advice will help. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I don't see any pictures. How much is the dealer asking for it?

That shaking isn't normal at all. I'd stay away from the car.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
That price isn't just high it's ridiculous. A perfectly clean one shows a retail price of $9000 in NADA. That's based on a Colorado zip since I don't know where you live, and Subarus tend to have the highest nationwide used prices here because they're so good in the mountains/snow. Based on the mountains in the background though, I'm guessing you're in CO, WY, ID, or somewhere where they also hold their value.

If the clean retail is $9000, you need to subtract at least 20% if not 30% or more because of the accident. That puts a fair retail price at $7000 or less. But even at that price, with the issues you describe, I'd run for those hills in the background and stay the hell away from that car.

One tip on used car pricing: Don't use the KBB (Kelley Blue Book). KBB is a consumer guide, not an industry guide. Here's what dealers usually do, whether you're trading in, selling, or buying a car. There are three major price guides:
KBB
NADA
Edmunds

They look at all three of these guides and find the price that's the most advantageous to them. They'll also look on eBay, cars.com, and other retail sites.

If you're buying a car, they'll use eBay or other retail websites a lot because those have asking prices on them, not the prices the cars sell for, and asking prices are always higher. So they can justify a higher price based on those sites.

If they're buying a car or taking it as trade-in, they'll look at the 3 major price guides I listed above and pick whichever one has the lowest price and tell you "the other ones aren't really what car dealers use."

The reality is that all of them are slightly inaccurate, but I've found Edmunds and NADA to be the most reliable in general. However, your best route when buying or selling is to look at all three, plus on the web.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I know you're excited to purchase a WRX... but that's not the car for you. I would fully agree with Scott (teflon jones) with his assessment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got my clean title 02 wagon with 65k miles for $8600 and it's a 5spd. It was a really good deal, they were asking 9995 but I talked them down.

That being said, if you do buy this car (DON'T DO IT) you are going to have problems and once you sign the papers it's yours. If you try to sell it, it will take FOREVER and you are going to lose money guaranteed. Salvage title + automatic= terrible resale value.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am very excited to buy a WRX. But i did have my doubts about this car. I just needed some reassurance from some who know more than I do. I appreciate all your replys. Teflon Jones and Sinister, thank you. You probally saved me tons of money and hassle. If you are ever in Hood River, hit me up and I will buy you a pint.
And the search continues.....
Dustin

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Feel free to continue to run cars by us. We are happy to give you advice on what to look for in a preowned WRX.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I am very excited to buy a WRX. But i did have my doubts about this car. I just needed some reassurance from some who know more than I do. I appreciate all your replys. Teflon Jones and Sinister, thank you. You probally saved me tons of money and hassle. If you are ever in Hood River, hit me up and I will buy you a pint.
And the search continues.....
Dustin
In Oregon Subarus also tend to hold their values better than most other parts of the country for the record.

I will happily take a free pint anytime.

I'd suggest looking at cars.com. I buy and sell cars more often then most people buy shoes, and that site has always had the best selection of any site I've visited. I'd also suggest looking outside of your local area. Many times you can find people on forums such as this who are local to a vehicle and can check it out for you as an unbiased party. I've bought several very high dollar vehicles sight unseen and flown in to pick them up and I've never had a problem. You can find the exact car you want, often at a great price since you're flexible in where you buy it. And then you get to do a road trip home with it, which is a ton of fun. I bought my 911 sight unseen in Florida and drove it home. The dealer picked me up at the airport in a new S550 and took me to the dealer 30 minutes away, where I had the keys and was on my way in a little over an hour.

Then it was 26 hours straight driving fueled by copious quantities of Mountain Dew and Skittles. I averaged 93 mph including stops (including stopping to fish the White River in AR for 3 hours) and it was the most fun drive of my life.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
They definitely hold their value better here than most parts of the US but I recently picked up an 05 wrx wagon with 60k for 10,000

·
Registered
42 Posts
In CA they are still asking 12k or more for cars with well over 100k miles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts