Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inadvertently started a new topic inside another suspension thread (Strut towers for the WRX?) and it elicited passionate responses from some respected members of our humble (kick @ss) bulletin board. Here it is, as it should have appeared in the first place, as a new topic.

According to the September 2001 issue of Sport Compact Car, page 28:
"Whatever you do, avoid lowering the WRX. Its ride height is critical to optimum performance, despite the many WRXs you'll see driving around on the bumpstops. This car requires its full range of travel to work right and changing that is the same thing as throwing away perfectly good suspension."

This sounds like as absolute statement to me.
Is an inch or an inch and a half less suspension travel OK?
Let's hear from all the slammed Rex owners out there!

-Jim

·
Registered
218 Posts
id personaly would not lower the car more then about 1.5 inches in the front and about 1inch in the back. some things you have to look for when you lower your car is rubbing, suspenison travel, ride quality, and probably some other issues. espically if you have bigger wheels youwould really want to watch out for rudding. and always get an alignment once you lower your car or get new wheels. as for suspension travel if you lower your car to much you will also sacrafice suspension travel. you dont want to be bottoming out on all your hard corners not only does it make you lose performance but it will also destroy your dampners. then theres an issue of ride quality if you dont give a damn about ride quality lower the car get stiff springs and you will handle much better then stock. but if thats an issue you may want to think twice about what kind of suspension you want to get, like the teins with pillow ball mounts.

·
1,911 Posts
If you use short stroke struts like Tein, Cusco, JIC, etc. . . you should have no problem with a 1.5-1.8 inch drop and stil keep almost the entire suspension travel you currently have. If you go inverted strut like the Tein RA 2 inch+ drop will be fine and suspension travel will be even more generous than the short stroke. As I've said many times, SCC are complete idiots and have no idea what they are talking. Such blanket statement are horribly irresponsible of them and create confusion for the newbies.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would guess that they were talking in terms of rallying and road rutts and the like, but didn't say it. If not even for someone as new as me it makes no sense.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
is that the entire quote? some if it makes no sense. with a proper set of springs and struts, your car should IMPROVE if anything. i wouldn't go out and put on lower springs without upgrading the strut, that WILL lead to problems, but aside from rubbing, if you chose a quality brand, and don't lower the thing so that you can't get into a driveway, you should have no problems. (imo)

im going down an inch in may. still shopping, looking at bilstein and cusco.

DR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts