ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went to look at a used '04 WRX black wagon with 3700 miles on it. It was listed at 22k.. long story short, we settled on 19,600 for the car... out the door came out to about 21,800... I can still back out of the deal, however, and want to see what you guys think before I finalize it.. I've got a deposit on it at the moment..

It looks brand new as far as I can tell.. no major scratches or dings anywhere, and the interior is perfect.. It's got the auto-dimming mirror, armrest extension, cargo tray, crossbar kit, and cargo net for options.. stock wheels/tires... unlikely that it was modded.. it's a bonus that it's still covered under factory warranty for awhile too...

So, what do you guys think? Should I go through with it? :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Is it new with miles or used? I would do a carfax on it to make sure there are no known issues, I would also post the dealer in here to make sure no one has had probs with them and have them verify and sign on the recipt that they have gone over it and that they verify no problems. The WRX's suffer from abused or trannies that have been pushed, including during breakin. I would take it for a test drive and feel what the tranny is doing, (if its an auto then I would not worry) A newer 5 spd will be able to shift into first at 5 to maybe 10 mph (mine I can do at around 9 or so if I give it a second or two to slide in). If the tranny cant do it at at least around 5 or at a roll I can say that it might have been pushed hard. If you have any secong guesses I would go to a web site called www.carsdirect.com . They are advertising new 2004 wagons for around 20,100 and I have had a friend that have had good luck with them. All in all if you think that someone didnt beat the car during breakin or the initial couple thousand miles then go for it,, if you have any doubts then try and get one from carfax for less than a thousand xtra. Good luck, and I own a 03 wagon and I dont regret it :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's a used car... no idea why someone would trade it back in with so few miles on it... maybe they found out they couldn't afford it? who knows.. :confused:

as for the tranny, it's a 5-speed, and it honestly felt a little notchy, but i heard that was the case in WRXs when they are new...??? i don't remember having a problem getting the car into first on a roll, but i will definitely give it another test drive before i finalize the deal, and see if i can get it into first at 5-10mph..

btw, the dealership is georgetown chrysler/dodge/jeep in CT.. i doubt anyone here has bought a subaru from there

·
Registered
441 Posts
The notchy thing is normal, Its also a hard clutch to learn if your new. If you were rolling and got it into first then your ahead of many others at 3000,,, It sounds like a good deal, just feel the dealer out , it may seem dramatic from what is said in here but its better to be safe than sorry, and if the they verify in writing the car hasnt been modded for future warrenty purposes then good luck with your new child...

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
h1721 said:
it's a used car... no idea why someone would trade it back in with so few miles on it... maybe they found out they couldn't afford it? who knows.. :confused:

as for the tranny, it's a 5-speed, and it honestly felt a little notchy, but i heard that was the case in WRXs when they are new...??? i don't remember having a problem getting the car into first on a roll, but i will definitely give it another test drive before i finalize the deal, and see if i can get it into first at 5-10mph..

btw, the dealership is georgetown chrysler/dodge/jeep in CT.. i doubt anyone here has bought a subaru from there
in all wrx's i have driven, including my own, it was hard to get the trans in first gear from anything other than a near stop. So dont expect to get that far in that aspect. the trans is naturally notchy and its not going to get to much better, so dont really fret about that either.

sounds like a good deal, just test out the suspension, make sure there is no whinning in the trans and that the clutch feels good and you should be ready to roll :thumbup:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts