Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried adding weight to the 2017 stock shift knob? I like the look and feel of the stock knob, but want to try adding some mass to it to try and reduce the notchy feel. I was thinking of perhaps drilling into the knob from underneath around the center hole and gluing in lead slugs. Problem is, I don't know what the knob is made of and don't want to destroy a drill bit trying to find out! I'm assuming some kind of plastic judging by the weight of the knob. Anyone know? Thanks!

· Premium Member
1,746 Posts

· Registered
3,060 Posts

· Registered
740 Posts
I would not try and add weight to the stock knob. Go shopping for a new one. There are some awesome custom knobs that are made or you can buy Sti alum knob which is pretty bulky. I personally like the Cobb one though.

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I know I can go aftermarket, but I was trying to be cheap and put the cash towards a short shifter plate. Seems most of the heavier ones are solid metal. It gets pretty hot in the summer and cold in the winter here, so that it not my first choice. Suppose a bit of leather and thread could fix that.

There's an idea, Livid. Perhaps a quarter dispenser shift knob... Heavier knob and I will always have change for the meters! Win-win situation.

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I think you're right, Joe. I did some rough measurements and calculations and estimate the most weight I'd be able to add would be on the order of a couple ounces at most. I learned tungsten is actually heavier than lead due to its density, despite being of a lower atomic number. So I found some tungsten weight nails used for fishing lures with each being 1/16 of an ounce. I estimated I could probably drill and place perhaps 20-24 of these weights in the knob around the center hole, and then add some lead under the cap. At any rate, 2oz. won't do squat for me, I imagine. Probably now gonna consider a solid stainless knob from WC LatheWerks and then stitching up my own leather wrap to help with temperature extremes.

· Registered
26 Posts
I wouldn't overthink the temperature issue too much. I've had a steel knob for a year now and even on 100 degree days, the knob is nowhere near hot enough to burn skin or hurt you.....yeah, it's hot....but the whole inside of the car is hot as hell on a day like that. With the ac on, the knob cools relatively quickly. Same for wintertime.....yes the metal is cold, but you shouldn't be resting your hand on the knob when you drive anyway.

If you just like the feel of a leather knob, that's understandable....they are nice. Don't be scared away from a metal knob because of the temp issue though. Just my opinion.

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input, Fastlane. I do like the feel of leather, so the knob cover is partly for that and partly for temperature. I do like the stock knob aesthetic and would try to emulate such a look if I bought a solid steel model. Probably would use some black leather stitched with four seams, and try to embroider the shift pattern on the top with grey thread. Or perhaps just some archival quality silver gel ink would work as well. Not sure yet at this point. The stock shifter works just fine, really. I'm more just tinkering than anything else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.