ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody;
I recently blew out the stock clutch and put a nice set of hot spots on the flywheel while ignorantly spraying nitrous out the hole during a race. As a result, I have eagerly decided its time for a drive train upgrade in the form of an ACT Stage 1 Clutch kit(throwout bearing included) and ACT 11 lb. flywheel. I was more than anything else just curious to see if anyone else has experience with these products, and if so what you think about them. I understand(if I'm to be correct) that the stock flywheel on our cars weighs in at a meager 16 lbs., and that a decrease of 4 pounds should produce a decent power increase. Thanks for the input!

Chandler

·
Registered
61 Posts
Actually, the stock flywheel is 27 lbs. Ive changed mine to a Fidanza 9.6lb flywheel.

Its really gonna be a prefrence for you. Your gonna get some much louder decel noise(like, LOUD, hills just... loud), especially in 4th, i have 80k miles on my tranny and 70k has been with this flywheel in it.

Another downside that I have noticed with my flywheel (I dont know if it will affect yours) is that it sets off a CEL for random misfire in all cylinders.
Everyone with this flywheel gets it.

Advantages are faster reving/decel (duh) and less wear and tear on the tranny due to less rotating mass.

So the choice is yours, IMO I've gotten used to it and couldnt bare putting the stock one back in.

The concensous is in the forums is to leave your flywheel/clutch alone unless your pushing upwards of 320hp to the wheels, from what I've observed anyways. Check around, get some info from others who have lightened flywheels.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah,
I put the ACT 11lb in my car....decel noise from the rear-end is noticeable.....if this is your daily driver I would go with the stock flywheel....misfire CELs a couple times a week....have to carry OBD II computer in car now.....also shakes a little while idling.....but on a good note it accelerates a little faster and revs a lot faster

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Word, well thats exactly the help I was looking for. My buddy was telling me that 9.5 is prolly a little too light for what im pushing now(around 300, including nitrous I suppose). He recommended the 11 pound fidanza, and I think thats the route I'm gonna end up taking. I'm excited to see this accel. increase......hurray!!

Thanks everybody...any more advice?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts