Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see rsd has a sale for 30% off right now and I'm wondering if I should take advantage. The thing is I've always heard of people saying that there is chatter from act clutches specifically. Is this true? Need it for my 04 STi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
My ACT HDSS is smooth as stock, zero chatter.. unlike the Exedy, Southbend, and Spec clutches I've had. People complaining about chatter probably failed to replace the flywheel when installing the clutch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My ACT HDSS is smooth as stock, zero chatter.. unlike the Exedy, Southbend, and Spec clutches I've had. People complaining about chatter probably failed to replace the flywheel when installing the clutch.
So then it's usually time or if anything just a good idea to also change the flywheel, do light weight flywheels cause chattering as well? Also how's your pedal feel? Stiff as a prick?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
So then it's usually time or if anything just a good idea to also change the flywheel, do light weight flywheels cause chattering as well? Also how's your pedal feel? Stiff as a prick?

Any time you replace the clutch the flywheel also needs to be replaced (if you don't want chatter). The friction disk needs a fresh surface to break in on, and the vast majority of places can't resurface a flywheel properly.. it's best to just buy new. A light weight flywheel won't cause chatter in and of itself. I have the ACT Streetlight flywheel paired with my HDSS and I'm a fan, though it can make the car more difficult to drive if you're not used to it. I wouldn't go any lighter than that one, and it's well made. IMO the pedal feel and engagement is near perfect.. it's a little stiffer than stock, but not enough to bother me unless I'm stuck in stop and go traffic for more than 45 minutes (and I would imagine any clutch would become a pain at that point).

Word of advice.. buy an extra OEM throw out bearing and use that instead of the one supplied with the clutch. Throw out bearings are a common problem, especially aftermarket.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Question: I have gone stage 2 without injectors and intake. Making 273 WHp And 280tq. I seem to be smelling the clutch smell a lot, is this too much for OEM 2009 WRX Clutch to handle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Any time you replace the clutch the flywheel also needs to be replaced (if you don't want chatter). The friction disk needs a fresh surface to break in on, and the vast majority of places can't resurface a flywheel properly.. it's best to just buy new. A light weight flywheel won't cause chatter in and of itself. I have the ACT Streetlight flywheel paired with my HDSS and I'm a fan, though it can make the car more difficult to drive if you're not used to it. I wouldn't go any lighter than that one, and it's well made. IMO the pedal feel and engagement is near perfect.. it's a little stiffer than stock, but not enough to bother me unless I'm stuck in stop and go traffic for more than 45 minutes (and I would imagine any clutch would become a pain at that point).

Word of advice.. buy an extra OEM throw out bearing and use that instead of the one supplied with the clutch. Throw out bearings are a common problem, especially aftermarket.
When I went with a stage 2 Exedy organic clutch and light flywheel it had too much clamp force and I ended up with bent forks. Should you also recommend some supporting parts to be changed rather than just dropping in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts