Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a 2017 wrx as a daily driver. the only "mods" i have are LED bulbs, a K&N drop in filter, a perrin shift gate stop and TSW wheels. I've seen a good amount of people run a stage 1 map with stock parts and it improves the driving experience. that being said this is my daily driver and the only thing holding me back is the fact that I'd be voiding the warranty if i go through with it. so accessport or no accessport?

·
Æternum
15,492 Posts
You will not "void" the warranty, but most likely all engine or even driveline-related warranty claims will be rejected should you install the AP.

That said, the AP is a necessary item should you plan to modify anything on the engine in the future.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will not "void" the warranty, but most likely all engine or even driveline-related warranty claims will be rejected should you install the AP.

That said, the AP is a necessary item should you plan to modify anything on the engine in the future.
well yeah but that being said in the future i wanna have 300-315hp at least so it is kinda necessary. but do you think i should just wait until the 3 year warranty is up or just go for it now...?

·
Æternum
15,492 Posts
I know what I'm doing, but you might not like to wait.

FWIW, the engine is warrantied up to 5 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
well yeah but that being said in the future i wanna have 300-315hp at least so it is kinda necessary. but do you think i should just wait until the 3 year warranty is up or just go for it now...?
THAT is the million $$ question that only each person can answer based on their own situation, and level of risk.

My personal opinion is Stage 1 is mild enough that it wont stress things to the point of causing them to break sooner, BUT if you have something going on that you dont know about that would break anyway before the warranty is up, you will be screwed by having flashed it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks boys. Maybe I'll wait until my car has like 10,000 miles before i really start modding it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks boys. Maybe I'll wait until my car has like 10,000 miles before i really start modding it.
I'm in this boat. Waiting for any mods that require tuning for a bit- but I'm still modding as I have long term plans for my car. I'm in the process of redoing my suspension and also installed a cbe that I can upgrade to tbe down the road. My car has 2500 miles on it- I've had it since April of this year. Basically sticking to mostly cosmetic stuff for the time being. There are some guys on here that say "eff it" and tune right away. That's their own personal call, and would be yours as well if you go that route. I will probably get an ap in a couple years and do an etune for stage 1 to meet my needs, then go to a pro once I start dabbling in the serious stuff. That's my two cents... but still a n00b so takin it slow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here are some things to keep in mind IF you have any issues after going stage 1:

- What is the view of your local dealer(s) regarding minor mods? the dealer plays a BIG part in the warranty process. Some dealers that are 'mod friendly' are more willing to actually look at the root cause of the issue and not immediately blame a tune.

- What is your financial situation? Are you able to absorb the cost of repairs in a worst case scenario?

- What is your current view on how the car drives? Do you greatly enjoy it, or do you feel like you are desperate for an improvement? Have you ever ridden or driven a 2015+ wrx with a stage 1/2 tune? It really is a MAJOR improvement to the cars overall drivability from both a smoothness perspective and just overall total power/enjoyment.

- Think about any negatives from a % standpoint, you paid $28-$35k for this car, $650 for an AP is a quite small investment for the benefits it provides.

·
Registered
338 Posts
But if you reflash it to stock how would they know ?
believe the ECU keeps a log as to date and time any/all changes were made. If they see a recent change, or any that don't match what they did or what is in the subaru database for your VIN, they know you did it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But if you reflash it to stock how would they know ?
Even if you flash it back to stock tuning they can see that its been tampered with. They also look at the amount of times the key has been cycled using something called mode 9 i think but dont quote me on that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some things to keep in mind IF you have any issues after going stage 1:

- What is the view of your local dealer(s) regarding minor mods? the dealer plays a BIG part in the warranty process. Some dealers that are 'mod friendly' are more willing to actually look at the root cause of the issue and not immediately blame a tune.

- What is your financial situation? Are you able to absorb the cost of repairs in a worst case scenario?

- What is your current view on how the car drives? Do you greatly enjoy it, or do you feel like you are desperate for an improvement? Have you ever ridden or driven a 2015+ wrx with a stage 1/2 tune? It really is a MAJOR improvement to the cars overall drivability from both a smoothness perspective and just overall total power/enjoyment.

- Think about any negatives from a % standpoint, you paid $28-$35k for this car, $650 for an AP is a quite small investment for the benefits it provides.
these are all great points that you bring up and I definitely appreciate them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
FWIW, i ran the stock tune for a year, witnessed no issues. Bought accessport last year during the black friday specials from MAPerformance with their tune and its been great ever since. Added a charge pipe a couple months ago. Its crazy how just those two items really wake the car up. I do plan on getting a Etune next spring and probably stopping there.

·
Super Moderator
10,901 Posts
Personally I would consider axing the cotton filter. See if aem has a dryflow option. The oil on cotton filters gunk's up sensors.

I would honestly wait. There is so much that can go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
ive had an 18 for 2 months and already have an ap with MAP's tune installed. i figure the odds of engine failure are low. possibly not even higher odds than stock tune. possibly even lower odds than stock tune. i figured even if there is a 20% chance the engine fails before 5 years is up im ok with that. i figure the extra fun gained over that large a portion of my life on earth is well worth that amount of money. i also figure the real chance of engine failure is much lower than 20%.

so id say go for it but this is a very personal decision. i just wanted to let you in on some of my logic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you've ever driven a WrX with an Accessport on it vs zstock, you wouldn't even ask this question lol. But in all seriousness, yahtzee is spot on. Do what you feel good about, but know that plenty of us said screw it, and it has paid off for sure buddy. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I installed the MAPerformance 91 octane stage 1 tune about a year after buying my WRX. I wasn't really looking for power gains, mostly just wanted to get rid of the stock on/off throttle map. The tune smoothed everything out and made the car nicer to drive and also allowed the engine to pull all the way up to redline and not fall flat at 5000rpm with the stock tune. I may look into a j-pipe next spring, but for now, I'm happy with the car the way it is. Figure the more stock I keep the car, the more reliable it is and happier I will be.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ive driven a friends 17 base with both 93 COBB and 93 MAP stage 1 tunes. The MAP is noticeably more powerful than the COBB but both do a good job of eliminating the falling on its face at 4500 rpms, the rev hang and the odd way the car feels when trying to take off when the hillholder brake or whatever that is, is engaged. Both allow the car to pull more or less evenly to redline.

I drive a LOT and finally decided to roll the dice and went with the 93 MAP stage 1. No regrets....yet

1 - 19 of 19 Posts