Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting my engine replaced with a new one on my 2014 WRX sedan. I'm curious if it would be wise to break-in the new engine with the Cobb turbo back exhaust, Cobb intake with the box, & the AP V3?? Any suggestions about motor break in/piston ring seating. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,787 Posts
I would personally not do anything besides leave everything entirely stock for a good while. I would not have an intake, exhaust, intercooler, anything.

My tips for break in are pretty simple. Don't beat the engine to death, try to keep out of boost, accelerate normally without giving it tons of throttle. Don't use cruise control, and try to keep the rpm varied a bit. So if you have a long drive on the highway at 65, vary your speed a little to keep the engine from sitting in the same rpm for long periods of time, or if your going slow enough 55 or so maybe drop down to 4th for a few minutes then back to 5th. Its also really important not to lug the engine, even more so when new and under break in.

Its also extremely important to keep an eye on the oil and fluids. Keep in mind dark oil is normal, and does not mean there is a problem. Coolant levels are very important as well. You need it to maintain the correct temperature.

2014 is pretty new, what happened to the previous engine?

· For External Use Only
3,884 Posts
That's a terrible idea. Aside from normal wear and tear, break in is the time problems are MOST likely to occur. SO you flash a new tune and your engine has a failure due to an assembly defect, etc, and you're SOL.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would personally not do anything besides leave everything entirely stock for a good while. I would not have an intake, exhaust, intercooler, anything.

My tips for break in are pretty simple. Don't beat the engine to death, try to keep out of boost, accelerate normally without giving it tons of throttle. Don't use cruise control, and try to keep the rpm varied a bit. So if you have a long drive on the highway at 65, vary your speed a little to keep the engine from sitting in the same rpm for long periods of time, or if your going slow enough 55 or so maybe drop down to 4th for a few minutes then back to 5th. Its also really important not to lug the engine, even more so when new and under break in.

Its also extremely important to keep an eye on the oil and fluids. Keep in mind dark oil is normal, and does not mean there is a problem. Coolant levels are very important as well. You need it to maintain the correct temperature.

2014 is pretty new, what happened to the previous engine?
Thanks for the advice!

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What failed on your engine? Did they figure out what caused it? Did you overboost at all? Did you get any CELs up to that point or after?

As far as breaking in a new engine, check out: Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
The failure was the connecting rod in cylinder 3, scoring to cylinder wall, metal debris in pickup tube and oil pump. No CEL before, during or after.

I've read motorman site before, kinda sounds like a mad man but it makes sense. I broke it in semi rough, I didn't drive like a granny going to church on Sunday and I didn't drive like a 16 year old with a fast car either, right in the middle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.