ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member, new 2012 WRX, new questions...after reading about the AccessPORT (Cobb's documentation) it would seem to me a no-brainer to buy one....multiple maps from completely stock to ...... There has to be a downside to this product, or is it as Cobb says it is?

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
the only downside i can think of is you can get more power by getting a custom tune and not using the cobb off the shelf maps.

aside from that, it's a very easy tool to use. very user friendly and it will give you some nice gains

i noticed you have a 2012. are you worried about your warranty? or is it not really an issue?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,445 Posts
There has to be a downside to this product, or is it as Cobb says it is?
These two statements are not mutually exclusive. There can be several downsides and Cobb's propaganda could also be correct. This is likely the case actually.

One downside is co$t. Open source solutions are cheaper. Another downside is the potential to brick the ECU; although there is usually a barage of scoffing and indignant "never, ever!" posts when this is mentioned, it has happened. Though it's rare, that won't matter to you if it happens to you. To be fair, modding is pay-to-play anyway.

In general though it's an "if you have to ask" situation. If you have to ask whether to go with the Cobb stuff, you may as well sacrifice $ for convenience. Should you do so, follow their map notes to the letter and call them day and night with specific questions. You're paying good $ after all, may as well get the most service possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the warranty seems to be an issue....brought it up to my dealer and they said it may cause a problem....you know what that means!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice...I'm in my research mode at this point and am in no hurry....my WRX is fine, but the pull and power curve is different from the only two other turbo cars I've owned...and as usual, you always want more than you have....

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Open access sounds fine. What about reading "check engine" codes and their meanings? Can that be done with the ramraider data logger? If so I'm all set to get the cable...

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Ingo said:
Open access sounds fine. What about reading "check engine" codes and their meanings? Can that be done with the ramraider data logger? If so I'm all set to get the cable...
With Romraider, no. There's a program on the Romraider forums called "Learning View" which includes a DTC reader.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
OK, so I'll NEED that. For my 09 it will have to be the 2.0 alright. But what adapter does that need?

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Ingo said:
OK, so I'll NEED that. For my 09 it will have to be the 2.0 alright. But what adapter does that need?
You need the Tactrix 2.0. There is no additional "adapter" necessary.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Can someone please expand on the term "open source" tuning for a newb. I'm looking at getting an accessport, but obviously would like to go the smartest route for my experience level and budget.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
The term "open source" basically means that the software is free, and the source code is available to anyone and open to further development.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The term "open source" basically means that the software is free, and the source code is available to anyone and open to further development.
So open source tuning is done with a laptop and tatrix cable? Is there more room for error if your a novice?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
If you're doing your own tuning then there's just as much room for error either route. Of course I would never recommend a novice to attempt to tune their own car without lots of guidance.

And you are correct, all you need to tune with open source is a laptop with the appropriate software installed and a Tactrix cable. (It's a good idea to have a wideband O2 on your car and a logging cable for it as well, otherwise you have little way of knowing what's going on fueling wise.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts